1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integration of a Derivative

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In general, what is [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} f^{(n)}(z) dn[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is the answer as simple as taking the antiderivative of n?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2
    n is the nth derivative of f(z), and z is a constant. I want to integrate with respect to the variable n, the nth derivative. If I simply took the aniderivative of n, and if the values I wanted to evaluate the integral over were 1 and 0, I would obtain [tex]f^{(1/2)}(z)[/tex] which does not make any sense. What am I doing wrong?

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The whole thing seems screwy to me. Your limits of integration are 0 to infinity, but derivatives make sense only for integer values of n. E.g., the "one-halfth" derivative doesn't make any sense.

5. Jan 28, 2010 #4
    Does the integral even have an antiderivative, forgetting about the limits?

6. Jan 28, 2010 #5
    This is the problem I am encountering in the Euler- MacLaurin expansion in my proof. The proof is given in another one of my posts called Zeta Function Proof. If anyone would like to point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it very much.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook