Evaluating Integral: $\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{1}{y+\cos x}dx$

• Thread starter RYANDTRAVERS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, when evaluating the integral given by $\int_0^\frac{\pi}{2} \frac{1}{y+cosx} \, dx$, the approach of treating y as a constant and integrating accordingly may result in an arbitrary constant that is a function of y, but it should disappear when evaluating the definite integral. However, this depends on the relationship between y and x. Typically, y will be a constant and the definite integral will still be dependent on y in the same way. The use of the substitution t=tan(x/2) may be helpful in evaluating the definite integral as a function of y.
RYANDTRAVERS
How do you evaluate an integral such as:
\begin{equation}
\int_0^\frac{\pi}{2} \frac{1}{y+cosx} \, dx
\end{equation}
I was thinking whether to treat y as a constant and then integrate as such and be left with an arbitrary constant that is a function of y. This constant, f(y), should then disappear when evaluating the definite integral...?

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on what you want to find out. Does y have some fixed relationship to x?
Usually, y will be a constant, and the definite integral will still depend on y in the same way the integral will give different results if you replace y by different real numbers.

I’ve attached my attempt at the question. Just wanted to know what you think? I’ve got a definite integral that is a function of y, I(y), and have used the substitution t=tan(x/2).

Attachments

• Maths Function Attempt.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 281

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a certain interval.

2. How do you evaluate an integral?

To evaluate an integral, you must use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You can also use online calculators or software programs to evaluate integrals.

3. What is the definite integral?

A definite integral is a type of integral that has specific limits or boundaries for the interval over which it is being evaluated. In the given equation, the definite integral is represented by the limits of 0 and π/2.

4. What is the significance of the limits of integration in this integral?

The limits of integration in this integral represent the starting and ending points of the interval over which the function is being evaluated. In this case, the limits of 0 and π/2 represent the interval from 0 to π/2 on the x-axis.

5. How do you evaluate the given integral: ∫0π/2 1/(y+cos x) dx?

To evaluate this integral, you can use the substitution method by letting u = sin x, which will change the integral into ∫0π/2 1/(y+u) cos x dx. Then, you can use integration by parts to solve the integral. Alternatively, you can use online calculators or software programs to evaluate the integral.