Integrating arctan(u): Where Do I Begin?

• Thread starter trajan22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, The conversation discusses the difficulty in integrating arctan(u) and the process of using integration by parts to prove that (arctan(u))=u(arctan(u))-\frac{1}{2}ln(1+u^2)+C. The participants also mention the importance of taking risks and making mistakes in order to learn.
trajan22
hi I am having trouble integrating arctan(u).

i have no idea where to even start. i know the derivative of arctan is
[tex] \frac{1}{x^2+1} [/tex] so i would assume that the integral would be the opposite?
but i am supposed to prove that [tex] (arctan(u))=u(arctan(u))-\frac{1}{2}ln(1+u^2)+C [/tex]

i am completely lost please help...any input is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember:
[tex]arctan(u)=1*arctan(u)[/tex]
:smile:

so then you are saying that by using integration by parts i should be able to prove this?

Yep, that does the trick! :smile:

hehe I was thinking that to, love that trick. I need to learn where to use it though, sometimes it leads me off to nowhere..

Gib Z said:
hehe I was thinking that to, love that trick. I need to learn where to use it though, sometimes it leads me off to nowhere..

But blundering about is a far better thing to do than not dare to commit anything to paper..:smile:

Of Course :D

1. What is the definition of the integration of arctan(u)?

The integration of arctan(u) is the process of finding the antiderivative of the function arctan(u), which is the inverse of the tangent function.

2. What is the general formula for integrating arctan(u)?

The general formula for integrating arctan(u) is ∫ arctan(u) du = u * arctan(u) - ∫ du / (1 + u^2) .

3. What are the steps for integrating arctan(u)?

The steps for integrating arctan(u) are: 1) Use the general formula to rewrite the integral, 2) Simplify the integrand, if possible, 3) Use u-substitution to solve for the new variable, 4) Integrate the resulting function, and 5) Substitute the original variable back in to get the final answer.

4. Can arctan(u) be integrated using the substitution method?

Yes, arctan(u) can be integrated using the substitution method. The variable substitution u = tan(x) can be used to simplify the integrand and make it possible to integrate.

5. Are there any applications of integrating arctan(u) in real-world problems?

Yes, integrating arctan(u) has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force acting at an angle, or to find the displacement of an object moving in a circular path.