1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of circle

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1
    Hi there,

I am trying to understand calculus as concerns circles and I can clearly see that the integral of a circumference is an area:
    [itex]\int2∏r[/itex] = ∏r[itex]^{2}[/itex]

but what do I get if I integrate the area, I get
    ∏r[itex]^{3}[/itex]/3

I am confused as to what this shape would be, I kind of was expecting a sphere, but the formula for a sphere is:
    4∏r3/3

plus a little technical point: when differentiating this, is it dr/dx or dy/dr, or am I totally off the mark?

Thanks in advance

Rob K

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The integration is with respect to r. The volume you get is a right isosceles cone with base and height both r. Here's how you can think of it. Take a circle of radius r and think of an r axis perpendicular to the circle through its center. The circle is at distance r from the origin on this axis. If you slide the circle to a larger distance its radius increases accordingly. Sliding the circle in the r direction generates the cone and the integral you are calculating represents calculating the volume of that cone by circular cross sections. And it gets the correct answer of 1/3*Area of base*height for a cone.

The connection between circumference and area of a circle by integration also works for a sphere, but the connection is between surface area and volume. The surface area is ##4\pi r^2## and if you integrate that you get the volume ##\frac 4 3 \pi r^3##. This is the calculation of the volume of a sphere by spherical shells.

4. Jan 6, 2012 #3
    Thank you, that is very useful as a visualization of integration. Let me get this a little clearer in my head. Is this another way to describe it. a right angle triangle with two 45˚ angles then revolved around the z axis, assuming the z axis is one of the non hypotenuse sides, as you would create it in 3d modelling?

5. Jan 6, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that also describes a right isosceles cone. Both legs of the triangle have length r.

6. Jan 6, 2012 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The area of the surface of a sphere is 4πr2. Integrate that to get the volume of a sphere.

7. Jan 6, 2012 #6
    Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook