Integration of (cosx/ (2-cosx))

In summary, the problem is to integrate the function cos x / (2 - cos x) dx, and the student attempted to use the substitution of tan(x/2) but got lost. They also tried dividing top and bottom by cos x, but were unsure if it would lead them anywhere. The responder suggests eliminating the cos function from the numerator by adding and subtracting '2' to the negative of the integrand, and provides a link for further guidance.
Mo

Homework Statement

integrate with respect to x

Homework Equations

integral of cos x / (2 - cos x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the substitution of tan (x/2) but got lost in it. I don't think it was correct to subsititute t = tan(x/2) because it was not in the correct form. [am i right in thinking to substitute in t=tan(x/2) we need an equation of the form 1 / (a + bsinx + ccosx) ?]

I also tried dividing top and bottom by cos x but I am unsure if this would lead me anywhere.

I'm hoping for a little pointer in how to start.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mo said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the substitution of tan (x/2) but got lost in it. I don't think it was correct to subsititute t = tan(x/2) because it was not in the correct form. [am i right in thinking to substitute in t=tan(x/2) we need an equation of the form 1 / (a + bsinx + ccosx) ?]

(i) The substitution of tan(x/2) is sometimes used when the integrand is a rational function of sin and cos. You might find http://www-math.mit.edu/~djk/18_01/contents.html" link useful.

(ii) In your problem, try eliminating the cos function from the numerator first. Here's a hint, try adding and subtracting '2' (to the negative of the integrand) in the numerator. Can you take it from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
try adding and subtracting '2' (to the negative of the integrand) in the numerator.

Thank you very much indeed! I do not think I would have got that in a loooong time! Thanks for the link as well.

Regards,
Mo.

1. What is the formula for integrating (cosx/ (2-cosx))?

The formula for integrating (cosx/ (2-cosx)) is:

∫ (cosx/ (2-cosx)) dx = ∫ (1/2)sec^2(x/2) dx

2. What is the method for integrating (cosx/ (2-cosx))?

The method for integrating (cosx/ (2-cosx)) is using the substitution rule. Let u = tan(x/2) and then use the identity: sec^2(x/2) = 1 + tan^2(x/2) to rewrite the integral in terms of u.

3. What are the limits of integration for (cosx/ (2-cosx))?

The limits of integration for (cosx/ (2-cosx)) depend on the original function and the given interval. If the interval is from a to b, then the limits of integration would be u(a) to u(b) where u is the substitution used in the integration.

4. Can (cosx/ (2-cosx)) be solved using other methods?

Yes, (cosx/ (2-cosx)) can also be solved using the trigonometric identities and properties, such as the half-angle formula and the double-angle formula.

5. Are there any applications of integrating (cosx/ (2-cosx))?

Yes, the integral of (cosx/ (2-cosx)) can be used in solving problems related to physics, engineering, and other fields that involve periodic functions and oscillations.