1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of e^(-x^2)

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    Hi everybody,
    Do you have any idea how this is solved?
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-x^2} dx =?[/tex]
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes. first note the integral exists, let its value be T.

By some theorem

T^2 = [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-x^2} dx\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-y^2} dy[/tex]

which equals

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-x^2-y^2} dxdy[/tex]

now put it into polars

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    I=[tex]\int_{0}^{+\infty} e^{-x^2} dx[/tex], is solved using a trick, and integrating in polar coordinates, in which the Jacobian helps solving it. It is equal to [tex]\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}[/tex]. Your integral is just 2I, I think.

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oggy,the "trick" applies for his integral.Yours,if u apply Fubini's theorem,will not lead to an integral over [itex]\mathbb{R}^{2} [/itex],but over the semiplane [itex] x\geq 0 [/itex] and it wouldn't be the same...

To evaluate that integral (and to get the value u wrote),u need another "trick":the integrand is even,therefore

[tex] \int_{0}^{+\infty} e^{-x^{2}} \ dx =\frac{1}{2}\int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-x^{2}} \ dx [/tex]

Daniel.

6. Apr 13, 2005 #5
    elaborating with what dexter had stated:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]

Convert to DI problem:

[tex]{(\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx)}^2[/tex]

[tex]=(\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx) (\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-y^2} dy)[/tex]

[tex]=\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}e^{-y^2} dxdy[/tex]

[tex]=\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-{(x^2+y^2)}} dxdy[/tex]

From here using a Change of Variables step or noticing the region we are integrating is simply a semicircular arc, we can use polar coordinates:

[tex]=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{R} e^{-r^2}r drd\theta[/tex]

Where we take the limit of this as R --> infinity and the extra r in the integrand is from the Jacobian when switching to polar coordinates (proven in the change of variables theorem)

And NOW we can use a U-substitution to easily solve this iterated double integral:

[tex]{(\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx)}^2 = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx = \frac{\sqrt \pi}{2}[/tex]

It seems like we can solve quite a few "definite" or "improper" integrals of non elementary functions using multivar. calculus. Does anyone know any other methods?

7. Apr 13, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The theorem of residues of A.Cauchy never fails...:wink:

Daniel.

8. Apr 14, 2005 #7
    That's exactly what I refered to.

9. Apr 14, 2005 #8
    Well... you didn't explicitly state residue calculus now did you :wink:

10. Apr 14, 2005 #9
    Thanks for your help. I am not very familiar with integration theorems but i wanted to calculate this integral because the normal distibution function has a term like this
    (e^(-x^2)) and the integral is 1. I checked it in Mathematica and the indefinite integral of the function g(x)=e^(-x^2) is (1/2)*[(pi)^(1/2)]*erf(x). Do u know what this erf(x) is? (a simple explanation as I am not very advanced in analysis)

11. Apr 14, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The way i know it (it coincides with the definition swallowed by Mathematica and my Maple)

[tex] \mbox{erf} (x)=:\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{0}^{x} e^{-t^{2}} \ dt [/tex]

Daniel.

12. Apr 14, 2005 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?