Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of e^(-x^2)

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    Hi everybody,
    Do you have any idea how this is solved?
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-x^2} dx =?[/tex]
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes. first note the integral exists, let its value be T.

By some theorem

T^2 = [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-x^2} dx\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-y^2} dy[/tex]

which equals

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-x^2-y^2} dxdy[/tex]

now put it into polars

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    I=[tex]\int_{0}^{+\infty} e^{-x^2} dx[/tex], is solved using a trick, and integrating in polar coordinates, in which the Jacobian helps solving it. It is equal to [tex]\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}[/tex]. Your integral is just 2I, I think.

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oggy,the "trick" applies for his integral.Yours,if u apply Fubini's theorem,will not lead to an integral over [itex]\mathbb{R}^{2} [/itex],but over the semiplane [itex] x\geq 0 [/itex] and it wouldn't be the same...

To evaluate that integral (and to get the value u wrote),u need another "trick":the integrand is even,therefore

[tex] \int_{0}^{+\infty} e^{-x^{2}} \ dx =\frac{1}{2}\int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-x^{2}} \ dx [/tex]

Daniel.

6. Apr 13, 2005 #5
    elaborating with what dexter had stated:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]

Convert to DI problem:

[tex]{(\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx)}^2[/tex]

[tex]=(\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx) (\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-y^2} dy)[/tex]

[tex]=\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}e^{-y^2} dxdy[/tex]

[tex]=\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-{(x^2+y^2)}} dxdy[/tex]

From here using a Change of Variables step or noticing the region we are integrating is simply a semicircular arc, we can use polar coordinates:

[tex]=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{R} e^{-r^2}r drd\theta[/tex]

Where we take the limit of this as R --> infinity and the extra r in the integrand is from the Jacobian when switching to polar coordinates (proven in the change of variables theorem)

And NOW we can use a U-substitution to easily solve this iterated double integral:

[tex]{(\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx)}^2 = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx = \frac{\sqrt \pi}{2}[/tex]

It seems like we can solve quite a few "definite" or "improper" integrals of non elementary functions using multivar. calculus. Does anyone know any other methods?

7. Apr 13, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The theorem of residues of A.Cauchy never fails...:wink:

Daniel.

8. Apr 14, 2005 #7
    That's exactly what I refered to.

9. Apr 14, 2005 #8
    Well... you didn't explicitly state residue calculus now did you :wink:

10. Apr 14, 2005 #9
    Thanks for your help. I am not very familiar with integration theorems but i wanted to calculate this integral because the normal distibution function has a term like this
    (e^(-x^2)) and the integral is 1. I checked it in Mathematica and the indefinite integral of the function g(x)=e^(-x^2) is (1/2)*[(pi)^(1/2)]*erf(x). Do u know what this erf(x) is? (a simple explanation as I am not very advanced in analysis)

11. Apr 14, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The way i know it (it coincides with the definition swallowed by Mathematica and my Maple)

[tex] \mbox{erf} (x)=:\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{0}^{x} e^{-t^{2}} \ dt [/tex]

Daniel.

12. Apr 14, 2005 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?