Integration of ((e^x)/(x^2)) with respect to x

This is what we do in mathematics, we define things in terms of other things. We cannot evaluate the integral using normal methods so we define a new function called the integral exponential. There is no way to reach this function using elementary functions.Does that make sense?
Eus

Homework Statement

[tex]
\int{\frac{e^x}{x^2}dx}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

• Integration by substitution
  • Integration by parts: [itex]\int{u\ dv}=uv\ -\ \int{v\ du}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it was clear that integration by substitution would not work, I tried integration by parts. Since the [itex]e^x[/itex] term would not be affected whatsoever with the application of differentiation or integration, I worked out the [itex]x^2[/itex] term instead. So, I took [itex]u=e^x[/itex] and [itex]dv=\frac{1}{x^2}\ dx[/itex]. It resulted in:

[tex]
\int{\frac{e^x}{x^2}dx}=-\frac{e^x}{x}+\int {\frac{e^x}{x}dx}
[/tex]

For the last term, I took [itex]u=e^x[/itex] and [itex]dv=\frac{1}{x}\ dx[/itex]. It resulted in:

[tex]
\int{\frac{e^x}{x^2}dx}=-\frac{e^x}{x}+e^x\ ln(x)-\int{(ln x)(e^x)dx}
[/tex]

Beyond this point, if I took [itex]u=ln(x)[/itex] and [itex]dv=e^x\ dx[/itex], I would just undo the previous steps. If I took [itex]u=e^x[/itex] and [itex]dv=ln(x)\ dx[/itex], it resulted in:

[tex]
\int{\frac{e^x}{x^2}dx}=-\frac{e^x}{x}\ +\ e^x\ ln(x)\ -\ e^x\left ( x\ ln(x)\ -\ x \right )\ +\ e^x\ -\ x\ e^x\ +\ \int{x\ ln(x)\ e^x\ dx}}
[/tex]

The last term certainly shows that this technique won't solve the problem at hand because it will continue forever.

How should I attack this problem?

Thank you.

Eus

Physics news on Phys.org
Eus said:
[tex]
\int{\frac{e^x}{x^2}dx}=-\frac{e^x}{x}+e^x\ ln(x)-\int{(ln x)(e^x)dx}
[/tex]

Beyond this point, if I took [itex]u=ln(x)[/itex] and [itex]dv=e^x\ dx[/itex], I would just undo the previous steps.
Although this may seem crazy, your right here with your substitution. You need to do integration by parts twice such that you arrive at something of the form,

[tex]\int{\frac{e^x}{x^2}dx}=f(x)-\int{\frac{e^2}{x^2}dx}[/tex]

Then you may write,

[tex]2\int{\frac{e^x}{x^2}dx}=f(x)[/tex]

[tex]\int{\frac{e^x}{x^2}dx}=\frac{1}{2}f(x)[/tex]

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
Although this may seem crazy, your right here with your substitution. You need to do integration by parts twice such that you arrive at something of the form,

[tex]\int{\frac{e^x}{x^2}dx}=f(x)-\int{\frac{e^2}{x^2}dx}[/tex]

Then you may write,

[tex]2\int{\frac{e^x}{x^2}dx}=f(x)[/tex]

[tex]\int{\frac{e^x}{x^2}dx}=\frac{1}{2}f(x)[/tex]

I have tried it and it really did not work; it really undid the previous steps resulting in [itex]0 = 0[/itex].

Eus

In which case, I believe that the integrand has no elementary anti-derivative. Do you have some reason do believe an elementary anti-derivative exists? One can of course find a series representation of the integral.

You're right there is no elementary derivative. The answer is:

[tex]\int \frac {e^x}{x^2}\;\rightarrow\; \frac {-e^x}{x}-Ei\;(1,-x)+c[/itex]

Where [itex]Ei[/itex] is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_integral" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vuthanhcrazy
Schrodinger's Dog said:

Where [itex]Ei[/itex] is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_integral" .
Cheers SD :smile:

Likes vuthanhcrazy
Schrodinger's Dog said:

I have taken a look at the page on Wikipedia but it does not explain anything how a series of non-terminating integration by parts can be transformed to an exponential integral.

Could you please tell me how to do the transformation? Or, is there any pointer to a webpage that shows how to do it?

Thank you very much.

Eus

We simply define the exponential integral as

[tex]Ei(x):=-\int^{\infty}_{-x}\frac{e^{-t}}{t}dt[/tex]

There is no method to go from your integral to the exponential integral. This is what we mean when we say an integrand has no elementary anti-derivative, it means the integral cannot be evaluated using elementary functions, we cannot evaluate the integral and write it in terms of normal functions. Instead we simply say that if one integrates this, then this is what one will obtain.

Does that make sense?

Hootenanny said:
Instead we simply say that if one integrates this, then this is what one will obtain.

Well, if I just tried to find out the answer, that fact would be enough for me. But, I want to know how in the past someone would be able to obtain that answer. Suppose a mathematician in the past encountered the same class of problem. Of course, the mathematician would have tried the integration by substitution and the integration by parts to no avail. So, the mathematician employed another method and found the answer to be something involving exponential integral. I want to know this "another method" and how it yields the exponential integral.

Would you please tell me this "another method" and how it yields the exponential integral? Any pointer will also help.

Thank you very much.

Eus

Eus said:
Well, if I just tried to find out the answer, that fact would be enough for me. But, I want to know how in the past someone would be able to obtain that answer. [..]
Would you please tell me this "another method" and how it yields the exponential integral? Any pointer will also help.

Thank you very much.

Eus
With all due respect Eus, did you read my previous post? There is no such method.
Hootenanny said:
We simply define the exponential integral as

[tex]Ei(x):=-\int^{\infty}_{-x}\frac{e^{-t}}{t}dt[/tex]

There is no method to go from your integral to the exponential integral. [...] Instead we simply say that if one integrates this, then this is what one will obtain.
Eus said:
Suppose a mathematician in the past encountered the same class of problem. Of course, the mathematician would have tried the integration by substitution and the integration by parts to no avail. So, the mathematician employed another method and found the answer to be something involving exponential integral. I want to know this "another method" and how it yields the exponential integral.
The mathematician would have probably tried many different methods to evaluate the integral, but would have failed. The simple fact of the matter is that we do not know how to integrate such an integrand. So your mathematician would have said "I don't know how to integrate, instead I'll just say that if you do integrate it you get the exponential function".

You just have to accept that some integrals are not solvable with any current method. A good example is

[tex]x^{x^2}[/tex]

Although we can see why this is generally insoluble as it becomes quickly very large, and does not converge [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}[/tex].

I suspect mathematicians would have found similar reasons why this integral is hard to pin down with elementary functions, and then given up and gone and had a cup of tea/coffee.

[itex]
\int \frac {e^x}{x^2}\;\rightarrow\; \frac {-e^x}{x}-Ei\;(1,-x)+c
\equiv[/itex] I don't know.

Last edited:
I'm afraid the reason is deeper than that we can not do it with any current method or that we just don't know; it's because its not possible! It can be proven, using something like the Risch algorithm, that certain integrals can NOT be expressed in terms of a finite combination of elementary functions.

It's not that we can't find the integral of exp(-t) 1/t, but rather that no such function in terms of elementary functions exists! So instead we define it as a non-elementary function, which is perfectly fine.

Hootenanny said:
With all due respect Eus, did you read my previous post? There is no such method.

Yes, I read your previous post. I just want to ensure myself that there is really no "another method" out there. Thank you for telling me about what happened to the mathematician :smile:

Thank you for all of your help.

Eus

Eus said:
Yes, I read your previous post. I just want to ensure myself that there is really no "another method" out there. Thank you for telling me about what happened to the mathematician :smile:

Thank you for all of your help.Eus

I don't believe it's impossible anyway, surely if we invent 8 extra dimensions it's soluble. :wink:

For future reference though, no elementary solutions, means it's insoluble except in terms of a non explicit mathematical term which means, either "?" Or undefined or impossible. Except in the case of imaginary solutions, which I'm not sure whether they fall under elementary solutions or not, but are solutions.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I don't believe it's impossible anyway, surely if we invent 8 extra dimensions it's soluble. :wink:

For future reference though, no elementary solutions, means it's insoluble except in terms of a non explicit mathematical term which means, either "?" Or undefined or impossible. Except in the case of imaginary solutions, which I'm not sure whether they fall under elementary solutions or not, but are solutions.

I'm not sure what this means, but have anyone even read my post? It can be proven that certain integrals can no have elementary anti derivatives. It's not a matter of it being really hard to find, its a matter if possibility. If it can be found but you just don't know how, that doesn't mean it has no elementary solutions, though it may not, it just means that you can't prove otherwise.

Gib Z said:
I'm not sure what this means, but have anyone even read my post? It can be proven that certain integrals can no have elementary anti derivatives. It's not a matter of it being really hard to find, its a matter if possibility. If it can be found but you just don't know how, that doesn't mean it has no elementary solutions, though it may not, it just means that you can't prove otherwise.

That's exactly what I just said. Obviously I wasn't clear, and the 8 extra dimensions is a swipe at my favourite punching bag, string "theory". I'm in a silly mood, it's not your fault. :smile:

Broadly speaking without redefining maths, some integrals are in fact impossible. But most I suppose are ? or undefined.

What is the Integral of \( \frac{e^x}{x^2} \) with Respect to \( x \)?

The integral of \( \frac{e^x}{x^2} \) with respect to \( x \) represents the antiderivative of the function \( \frac{e^x}{x^2} \). It is a mathematical operation used to find the area under the curve of this function with respect to the \( x \)-axis.

Is the Integral of \( \frac{e^x}{x^2} \) a Standard Function?

No, the integral of \( \frac{e^x}{x^2} \) does not have a simple, standard form in terms of elementary functions like polynomials, trigonometric functions, or exponentials. It is considered a non-elementary integral and typically cannot be expressed in terms of familiar functions.

How Do You Calculate the Integral of \( \frac{e^x}{x^2} \)?

Calculating the integral of \( \frac{e^x}{x^2} \) involves using special functions or techniques, such as the exponential integral \( \text{Ei}(x) \) or numerical methods. The integral is typically represented as:

\[ \int \frac{e^x}{x^2} \, dx = \text{Ei}(x) + C \]

Where \( \text{Ei}(x) \) is the exponential integral, and \( C \) is the constant of integration.

What is the Exponential Integral (\( \text{Ei}(x) \))?

The exponential integral (\( \text{Ei}(x) \)) is a special function used to represent certain integrals involving exponential functions. It is defined as:

\[ \text{Ei}(x) = -\int_{-x}^\infty \frac{e^{-t}}{t} \, dt \]

Where \( x \) is a real number. The exponential integral is not expressed in terms of elementary functions and is often computed using numerical methods or specialized software.

Are There Approximate Methods for Calculating the Integral?

Yes, numerical methods, such as numerical integration or numerical approximation algorithms, can be used to estimate the value of the integral of \( \frac{e^x}{x^2} \) over a specified interval. Numerical techniques provide approximations to the integral's value and are useful when an exact solution is not required.

Is There Software or Calculators that Can Compute the Integral?

Yes, mathematical software packages like Mathematica, MATLAB, and online integral calculators can compute the integral of \( \frac{e^x}{x^2} \) and provide numerical or symbolic results. These tools are helpful for obtaining accurate solutions to complex integrals.

Where Can I Learn More About Non-Elementary Integrals?

You can learn more about non-elementary integrals, including techniques for handling them and using specialized functions like the exponential integral, by referring to advanced calculus textbooks, mathematical reference materials, or online resources dedicated to mathematical topics.