1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of e

1. Feb 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

$$y= \frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2},~y=0,~x=0,~x=1$$

2. Relevant equations

$$Volume=2\pi\int_a^b p(x)h(x)dx$$

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand how to do the problem, I'm just having trouble integrating.
    ##h(x)=\frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2},~ p(x)=x##
    And you just plug that into the equation.
    When you integrate ##\frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2}x## , you use the chain rule right? But first you move the constant ##\frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}## out of the integral next to the ##2\pi##
    So it would look like this, ##Volume=2\pi~\frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}}~\int_0^1~ xe^{ \frac{- x^2} 2}dx##

I know the anti derivative of ##e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2} is, e^{ \frac{- x^2} 2}## and then you have to do the anti derivative of ## { \frac{- x^2} 2}## as part of the chain rule right? Well, that is where I get stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2017 #2
    Hi Jovy:

I suggest you investigate the substitution u = (x^2)/2, du = x dx

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Feb 21, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, the antiderivative of ##e^{-x^2/2}## is a non-elementary function. In other words, it is not possible to write down the antiderivative in a finite number of terms involving the standard functions. Even if you try to write it down in 1 billion pages of horrible algebra, you cannot do it.

Fortunately, you don't need the antiderivative of ##e^{-x^2/2}##, but of ##x e^{-x^2/2}## instead, and that is a much different story.

5. Feb 21, 2017 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What exactly is the problem? All you have given us is an equation in x and y, but you haven't said what it is you're supposed to do?

From your attempt below, it would seem that you're trying to find the volume of a surface of revolution, but there is no clue above that that's what you need to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted