Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of Gaussian equation

1. Aug 24, 2004 #1

Need help desperately!

I am trying to figure out the area under a gaussian cone by finding the integral of

2PIArEXP[-(r^2)/(2sigma^2)] dr

My supervisor thought it is

2PI [A sigma^2 EXP(-(r^2)/(2 sigma^2)] Between 0 and infinity

and he came up with the answer

2 PI A sigma^2

I hope you can understand that!

I don't think that his integration is right to get to the second step there. But I'm not sure why. I don't think sigma will come down like that. Please help me. I haven't done maths like this for a few years and I'm very rusty at it!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2004 #2
    I think he has taken
    2PIArEXP[-(r^2)/(2sigma^2)] dr

-- AI
  4. Aug 24, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To find [itex]2\pi {A} \int_0^{\infinity}{r e^{\frac{-r^2}{2\sigma^2}}dr}[/itex], let [itex] u= \frac{r^2}{2\sigma^2}[/itex]. Then [itex]du= \frac{r}{\sigma^2}[/itex] so [itex]rdr= \sigma^2du[/itex]. When r=0, u= 0, when r= infinity, u= infinity so the integral becomes [itex]2\pi {A} \sigma\int_{o}^{\infinity}{e^{-u} du}[/itex].
    That IS [itex]-2\pi {A} \sigma e^{-u}[/itex] evaluated between u=0 and u= infinity:
    [itex]2\pi {A} \sigma[/itex].
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  5. Aug 24, 2004 #4
    rdr = sigma^2 du
    the final answer is 2*pi*A*sigma^2

-- AI
  6. Aug 24, 2004 #5
    I see what he has done now!

Thanks so much. You guys are lifesavers!

7. Aug 24, 2004 #6
    Thanks for your help. I am still a little confused. As I said I haven't done integration like this for a long time!

I can't see how you substituted [itex]rdr= \sigma^2du[/itex] back in to get [itex]2\pi {A} \sigma\int_{o}^{\infinity}{e^{-u} du}[/itex]. I can see that when r=0, u= 0, when r= infinity, u= infinity. That is fine but where does the sigma come from and where does the r go?

8. Aug 24, 2004 #7
    Look at the substitution hurkyl makes ....
    u = r^2/(2*sigma^2)
    find du/dr

-- AI
  9. Aug 24, 2004 #8
    I understand the substitution that is made and I can find

du/dr = r/sigma^2

That can then be rearranged to

rdr = sigma^2du

How then do I get to this!

[itex]2\pi {A} \sigma\int_{o}^{\infinity}{e^{-u} du}[/itex]

Forgive me I think it is part of the substiution method that I don't understand. I haven't done it for many years.
  10. Aug 24, 2004 #9
    Thanks for all your hlep. I have been playing around with it and I understand it now!

It was not remembering how to use the substitution method that was causing me problems!

Thansk again for all your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?