Integration of Hylleraas Wavefunctions

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of integrating the Hylleraas method for helium using the given basis states. Suggestions for solving the integration problem include using spherical harmonics to express the angular dependence and using numerical methods to approximate the integral. Seeking help from an instructor or fellow student is also recommended.
VolatileStorm

Homework Statement

I'm investigating the Hylleraas method for helium using the basis states given below. I'm attempting to plot single particle wavefunctions and so want to integrate this basis function over all space for one of the particles, that is I want to calculate:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi_{jkm}(\vec{r_1}, \vec{r_2}) dV_1 [/tex]

(Due to the indistinguishability of the basis functions the only difference caused by choosing V1 instead of V2 may be a minus sign, I think).

Unfortunately due to the complication of the basis function it seems to be out of my realms to integrate it (if it is indeed possible). I know that <phi_jkm|phi_jkm> exists as I've been provided with this in my work, but I don't know if what I'm asking for, exists.

Thanks for any input!

Homework Equations

[tex]

\phi_{jkm} (\vec{r_1}, \vec{r_2} ) =
(r_1+r_2)^j (r_1 - r_2)^k |\vec{r_1} - \vec{r_2}|^m e^{ - \frac{Z}{\beta r_0} (r_1 + r_2)}

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been unable to make any cracks in the integration, as everything is in terms of either r or [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] then it seems that spherical polar coordinates would be the best thing but I am unsure of how to deal with the magnitude term [tex]|\vec{r_1} - \vec{r_2}|^m[/tex], as this is the only thing that depends on the angle. Any attempts that I've made to try and look at the geometry of this situation have not really proven useful to me either.

The integration over solid angle by itself would read:

[tex]
\int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2 \pi} |\vec{r_1} - \vec{r_2}|^m \sin\theta_1d\phi_1 d\theta_1
[/tex]

And attempting to rewrite the magnitude as the square root of the dot product would be

[tex]
\int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2 \pi} ((x_1 - x_2)^2 + (y_1 - y_2)^2 + (z_1 - z_2)^2)^{\frac{m}{2}} \sin\theta_1d\phi_1 d\theta_1
[/tex]

Converting to spherial polar coordinates this is:

[tex]
\int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2 \pi} ((r_1 \sin\theta_1 \cos\phi_1 - x_2)^2 + (r_1 \sin\theta_1 \sin\phi_1- y_2)^2 + (r_1 \cos\theta_1 - z_2)^2)^{\frac{m}{2}} \sin\theta_1d\phi_1 d\theta_1
[/tex]

Upon seeing this it struck me as inherently integrable but I can't see any transformation that would work easily. Whilst writing [tex]u = \cos\theta_1[/tex] would clean it up, it then converts it into a form for which I'd usually use a trig substitution!

Thanks.

(Please note this isn't homework to calculate this, it's part of a piece of coursework in which [for interest] I'm going beyond the scope - if they wanted us to do this then the analytic forms would be given!)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your progress and difficulties with integrating the Hylleraas method for helium using the given basis states. I would like to offer some suggestions that may help you in your investigation.

Firstly, it is important to note that the Hylleraas method is a highly complex and advanced technique for solving the Schrödinger equation for atoms and molecules. It is not surprising that you are facing challenges in integrating the basis function over all space.

One approach that may be helpful is to use the spherical harmonics to express the angular dependence of the basis function. This would allow you to rewrite the magnitude term as a combination of the radial and angular components, which may make the integration more manageable.

Another suggestion is to consider using numerical methods to approximate the integral. This could involve breaking up the integral into smaller parts and using numerical integration techniques such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule to approximate each part.

Finally, I would also recommend seeking help from your instructor or a fellow student who may have more experience with the Hylleraas method. They may be able to offer some insights or tips that could assist you in your investigation.

I wish you all the best in your research and hope that you are able to successfully integrate the basis function for your project. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the Hylleraas wavefunction?

The Hylleraas wavefunction is a mathematical function used to describe the electronic structure of atoms and molecules. It takes into account both the electron-electron repulsion and the electron-nucleus attraction, making it a more accurate representation than simpler wavefunctions.

2. Why is the integration of Hylleraas wavefunctions important?

The integration of Hylleraas wavefunctions is important because it allows us to calculate the energy levels and other properties of atoms and molecules with a high degree of accuracy. This is particularly useful in quantum chemistry and physics, where precise calculations are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of matter.

3. What are the challenges involved in integrating Hylleraas wavefunctions?

The main challenge in integrating Hylleraas wavefunctions is their mathematical complexity. The wavefunctions involve multiple variables and complicated integrals, making the calculations difficult and time-consuming. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the precision of the integration, which can be challenging to achieve.

4. How is the integration of Hylleraas wavefunctions performed?

The integration of Hylleraas wavefunctions is typically performed using numerical methods, such as Gaussian quadrature or Monte Carlo integration. These methods involve breaking down the complex integrals into smaller, more manageable pieces and then using numerical techniques to solve them. This allows for a more accurate and efficient integration process.

5. What are the applications of integrating Hylleraas wavefunctions?

The integration of Hylleraas wavefunctions has many applications in the field of quantum chemistry and physics. It is used to calculate the energy levels, electronic structure, and other properties of atoms and molecules, which is essential for understanding their behavior and interactions. It is also used in the development of advanced computational methods and algorithms for more accurate and efficient calculations.