Integration of sqrt(x^2-9)/x

• Thread starter FatalFlare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: However, they are not the same function, as they differ by a constant. The reason for this is that the inverse trigonometric functions, like arcsin and arctan, are multi-valued, so their inverses will also be multi-valued. This means that there will be multiple solutions to the equation ##y=\arcsin(x)## or ##y=\arctan(x)##, and the choice of which solution to use can depend on the context.
FatalFlare
I used trig substitution and got sqrt(x^2-9)+3*arcsin(3/x) which seems to be incorrect when I check it in my calculator and the textbook. I made a right triangle where one of the legs was sqrt(x^2-9) and it so happens that if you switch the leg the answer becomes sqrt(x^2-9) - 3*arctan(sqrt(x^2-9)/3)) which is the correct answer. It shouldn't matter which leg I choose but it does why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved this thread, which was originally posted in the HW section. It is not so much a homework problem as a question about why an answer can appear in two different forms. (Also, it might have drawn a warning in the HW section, as it was not posted using the homework template.)

FatalFlare said:
I used trig substitution and got sqrt(x^2-9)+3*arcsin(3/x) which seems to be incorrect when I check it in my calculator and the textbook. I made a right triangle where one of the legs was sqrt(x^2-9) and it so happens that if you switch the leg the answer becomes sqrt(x^2-9) - 3*arctan(sqrt(x^2-9)/3)) which is the correct answer. It shouldn't matter which leg I choose but it does why?

Both ##\sqrt{x^2-9}+3\arcsin(3/x) ## and ##\sqrt{x^2-9} - 3\arctan(\sqrt{x^2-9}/3))## have the same derivative, namely, your original integrand (assuming ##x>3##).

1. What is the definition of integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve, or the inverse of differentiation. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a variety of real-world problems.

2. How do you integrate a function with a square root?

The integration of a square root function can be done by using the substitution method, where the expression inside the square root is substituted with another variable. This allows for the use of basic integration rules to solve the integral.

3. What are the steps for integrating sqrt(x^2-9)/x?

The steps for integrating sqrt(x^2-9)/x are as follows:1. Rewrite the expression as sqrt(1-(3/x)^2)2. Substitute u = 3/x and du = -3/x^2 dx3. Rewrite the expression as -3sqrt(1-u^2)/u4. Use the trigonometric substitution u = sin(theta) and du = cos(theta) d(theta)5. Integrate the resulting expression using basic integration rules.

4. Can the integral of sqrt(x^2-9)/x be evaluated without using substitution?

No, the integral of sqrt(x^2-9)/x cannot be evaluated without using substitution. This is because the expression inside the square root cannot be simplified using basic integration rules, and therefore requires the use of substitution to solve the integral.

5. What are the common applications of integrating sqrt(x^2-9)/x?

The integration of sqrt(x^2-9)/x has various applications in physics, engineering, and geometry. Some common applications include finding the work done by a variable force, calculating the arc length of a curve, and finding the area of a sector of a circle.