1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of step functions

1. Jan 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is from Apostol's Calculus Vol. 1. Exercise 1.15, problem 6.(c)

Find all x>0 for which the integral of [t]2 dt from 0 to x = 2(x-1)

2. Relevant equations

[t] represents the greatest integer function of t.

3. The attempt at a solution

Integral of [t]2 dt from 0 to x = {x(x-1)(2x-1)}/6, which on equating with 2(x-1) gives x(2x-1) = 12 which does not have a rational solution. The answers given at the back of the textbook are 1 and 5/2. Can someone please give me a hint as to where I'm going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your notation really threw me off for a while. I think this is what you're trying to convey:
    $$ \int_0^x \lfloor t \rfloor ^2 dt = 2(x - 1)$$
    No, it isn't. You can't just integrate ##\lfloor t ^2 \rfloor## as if it were the same thing as ##t^2##. Draw a sketch of ##y = \lfloor t ^2 \rfloor## and y = 2(t - 1) and compare the cumulative area under the graph of the integrand with the y values on the straight line graph.

4. Jan 1, 2015 #3
    Yes, that was exactly what I was trying to say :) Sorry, I do not know how to use the definite integral symbol.

But but I'm supposed to be integrating [t]2 and not [t2] as you pointed out. Won't those two be different?

5. Jan 1, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(1) You don't need to know how to do a definite integral sign; you can just say something like int_{t=0..x} [t]^2 dt or int([t]^2 dt, t=0..x). That would be perfectly clear and would avoid the kind of confusion I was victim to when I first tried to read your message. Or you could have said that "the integral of [t]^2 from 0 to x is equal to 2x-1"---that would also have been clear. Saying "...x = 2x-1" is maximally confusing.
    (2) Yes, [t^2] and [t]^2 are very different.

6. Jan 1, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is, as you say, a step function. It's graph is just a series of horizontal lines and its integral, the area under the graph, is just the sum of areas of rectangles. The first thing you should do is draw the graph. If x is from 0 to 1, [x]= 0 so [x]2= 0. If x is from 1 to 2, [x]= 1 so [x]2= 1. If x is from 2 to 3, [x]= 2 so [x]2= 4, etc.

7. Jan 1, 2015 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

In this problem, the formula for summing the squares of integers is only relevant when [itex] x [/itex] is an integer. And when [itex] x [/itex] is an integer, I think you are "off by 1". For example, as I understand the symbol "[t]^2" in this problem, when [itex] 4 < t < 5 [/itex] , [itex] [t]^2 = [4]^2 = 16 [/itex]. So the area involved in [itex] \int_0^5 [t]^2 dt [/itex] does not include a rectangle with height 25. The areas to be summed are [itex] (1)(0^2)+(1)(1^2) + (1)(2^2) + (1)(3^3) + (1)(4^2) [/itex].

If the upper limit of integration is between two integers you must sum the squares of the whole rectangles involved in the are and then add the area of the fraction of the rectangle at the end to the sum.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Jan 1, 2015 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Absolutely, as is the one below.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted