1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of taylor series

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A problem from advanced calculus by Taylor :

http://gyazo.com/5d52ea79420c8998a668fab0010857cf

2. Relevant equations

##sin(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{∞} (-1)^n \frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}##

##sin(3x) = \sum_{n=0}^{∞} (-1)^n \frac{3^{2n+1}x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}##

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not quite seeing what the question is trying to ask me here. It wants me to find a series for the integral of f(x)?

I wrote out the sin(px) in terms of their power series and then integrated f(x) from 0 to π/2. So I have :

##\int_{0}^{π/2} f(x) dx = \frac{\sum_{n=0}^{∞} \frac{(-1)^n 3^{2n+1} (π/2)^{2n+2}}{(2n+1)!(2n+2)}}{1 * 2} + \frac{\sum_{n=0}^{∞} \frac{(-1)^n 5^{2n+1} (π/2)^{2n+2}}{(2n+1)!(2n+2)}}{3 * 4} + ......##

I don't see where to go from here or what I'm even supposed to be doing with this monster.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2013 #2
    What makes you think you are required to mess with power series? Can you integrate the series term by term? Why?

4. Mar 30, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Well I don't HAVE to use the power series I suppose.

Yes I can integrate the series term by term. Hm, what if I write :

##f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{∞} \frac{sin((2n+1)x)}{not sure} = \sum f_n(x)##

Having a bit of trouble getting the denominator on that one. If I can show that the series is uniformly convergent on ##[0, π/2]## and each ##f_n(x)## is continuous on the interval, then I can integrate the terms of the series term by term which will give me the series I'm looking for.

##\int_{0}^{π/2} f(x) dx = \int_{0}^{π/2} \frac{sin(3x)}{1*2} + \int_{0}^{π/2} \frac{sin(5x)}{3*4} + \int_{0}^{π/2} \frac{sin(7x)}{5*6} + ...##

5. Mar 30, 2013 #4
    Does (2n - 1)(2n) work for the denominator?

6. Mar 30, 2013 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I was just thinking (2n+1)(2n), but (2n-1) works since it goes oddeven oddeven. I was actually getting shafted by (2n+1) screwing everything.

So the series would be uniformly bounded by ##M_n = \frac{1}{n^2}##. Since ##\sum M_n## converges by p-comparison, we know ##\sum f_n(x)## will uniformly converge by the M-Test.

Since each term in the series is also continuous I integrate :

##\int_{0}^{π/2} f(x) dx = \sum_{n=1}^{∞} \int_{0}^{π/2} \frac{(2n+1)x}{4n^2 - 2n} = \sum_{n=1}^{∞} \frac{(2n+1)x^2}{8n^2 - 4n}##

and... there's my series :eek:!

7. Mar 30, 2013 #6
    I do not understand your last step. You should be integrating ## \frac {\sin (2n + 1)x} {(2n - 1)(2n)} ##, no?

8. Mar 30, 2013 #7

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Oh whoops, I jumped a little too quickly and forgot the sin.

##\int_{0}^{π/2} f(x) dx = \sum_{n=1}^{∞} \int_{0}^{π/2} \frac{sin((2n+1)x)}{4n^2 - 2n}dx##

Then using ##u = (2n+1)x##, I get ##\frac{1}{2n+1}du = dx## and so on and so forth.

I'm sure I got this now :). Thanks voko.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted