1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of x^log(x) ?

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I need to solve the following integral from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex] :
    Please note that my professor has defined [tex] log(x) = ln(x) [/tex] , i.e. 10 is not the default base.

[tex]\int { e^{\frac{-log(x)^2}{2} } dx }[/tex]

Through 'simplification' ( [tex] e^{log(x)} = x [/tex] ), I have translated the function to:
    [tex] \int { x^{ \frac{-log(x)}{2} } dx } [/tex] , which appears easier to integrate.

However, I am uncertain where to go from here (or if this is even the right direction). Obviously the formula [tex] \int { x^c } = \frac{x^{c+1}}{c+1}[/tex] doesn't work here, as c is not a constant.

I have tried using mathematica to see if I could reverse-engineer the integral, but the resulting 'error' function seems significantly complex and doesn't help.

I have tried substitution with it in the form [tex] \frac{ 1}{x^{\frac{log(x)}{2}} } [/tex] using [tex] u = \frac{log(x)}{2} \ \ du = \frac {1}{2x} dx [/tex] , which almost works, except that the problem then becomes [tex] \int {2 du^u } [/tex] , which seems quite odd.

Any hints for how to approach this problem?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

The exponential form is definitely the easier one. Substitute [itex]u= \log x/ \sqrt{2}[/itex]. Then complete the square and use that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-ax^2}=\sqrt{\pi/a}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook