Integration on the way to Generating Functional for the free Dirac Field

In summary, the generating functional for the free Dirac field is given by: -\int d^4x\,f(x)\partial^\mu g(x) = -\int d^4x\,f(x)\partial^\mu g(x) \where we assume f(x)g(x) vanishes on the surface at infinity.
Phileas.Fogg
Hi,
if I want to calculate the generating functional for the free Dirac Field, I have to evaluate a general Gaussian Grassmann integral. The Matrix in the argument of the exponential function is (according to a book) given by:

24114_dirac_field_generating.jpg

I don't understand the comment with the minus-sign and the integration by parts. I tried to do this integration, but didn't get the same result.

Could anyone tell me, how this integration works explicitly?

Or is there a mistake in the book and in the last line it should be +m (not -m) ?

Regards,
Mr. Fogg

Physics news on Phys.org
The minus sign comes from integration by parts:

[tex]\int d^4x\,[\partial^\mu f(x)]g(x) = -\int d^4x\,f(x)\partial^\mu g(x)[/tex]

where we assume [itex]f(x)g(x)[/itex] vanishes on the surface at infinity. In your case, [itex]f(x)=\delta^4(x'-x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x)=\psi(x)[/itex].

Hi,
thanks for your help!

Let me show you my calculation so far:

[tex] \int d^4 x' \overline{\psi}(x') \int d^4 x (-i \hbar \gamma \partial^{\mu} \delta^4(x' - x) - m \delta^4(x'-x)) \psi(x)[/tex]

[tex] = \int d^4 x' \; \overline{\psi}(x') \int d^4 x (-i \hbar \gamma \partial^{\mu} \delta^4(x' - x) \psi(x) - m \delta^4(x'-x) \psi(x)) [/tex]

As you suggested

[tex] f(x) = \delta(x' - x) , g(x) = \psi(x) [/tex]

[tex]= \int d^4 x' \; \overline{\psi}(x') \left( -i \hbar \gamma( \left[ \delta^4(x'-x) \psi(x) \right]_{-\infty}^{+\infty} - \int d^4 x \delta^4(x'-x) \partial \psi(x)) - m( \psi(x)^2 )_{-\infty}^{+\infty} + m \int d^4 x \psi(x) \delta^4(x'-x) \right)[/tex]

Somewhere must be a mistake. Can you help me to find it?

Regards,
Mr. Fogg

Hi,

I am not sure what you did with the mass-term or why you did it. This term can be trivially integrated over [itex]x'[/itex] due to the delta function:

[tex]-\int d^4x\int d^4x'\bar{\psi}(x)m\delta^4(x-x')\psi(x')=-\int d^4x \bar{\psi}(x) m \psi(x)[/tex]

So you only need to make the partial integration on the derivative term. This you do precisely like Avodyne said, and what your first two terms in your last equation say. So take your last equation, discard the mass-terms, and then use the fact that [itex]\bar{\psi}(x)\psi(x)\rightarrow 0, \ x\rightarrow \pm \infty[/itex] to drop the very first term. Finally the integration over the second term is again trivial and gives you

[tex]-\int d^4 x'\int d^4 x\bar{\psi}(x')\delta(x-x')(-i\hbar)\gamma\cdot \partial\psi(x)=\int d^4x \bar{\psi}(x) i\hbar\gamma\cdot \partial \psi(x)[/tex]

Now adding the mass-term you get the advertised answer.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

What is the Generating Functional for the Free Dirac Field?

The Generating Functional for the Free Dirac Field is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to describe the dynamics of a free Dirac field. It is a functional that takes in the classical field configuration and produces the quantum amplitude for that configuration. It allows for the calculation of correlation functions and observables in the free Dirac field theory.

How is Integration used in the Generating Functional for the Free Dirac Field?

Integration plays a crucial role in the construction of the Generating Functional for the Free Dirac Field. It is used to sum over all possible field configurations, taking into account the quantum fluctuations of the Dirac field. This integration process is known as path integral quantization and is an essential part of quantum field theory.

What is the significance of the Free Dirac Field in Quantum Field Theory?

The Free Dirac Field is a fundamental field in quantum field theory that describes the dynamics of fermions, particles with half-integer spin. It is important because it serves as the building block for more complex theories, such as quantum electrodynamics and the Standard Model of particle physics. Studying the Free Dirac Field also helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum field theory, such as symmetries and quantization.

What are the challenges in calculating the Generating Functional for the Free Dirac Field?

One of the main challenges in calculating the Generating Functional for the Free Dirac Field is dealing with the infinite number of field degrees of freedom. This requires the use of advanced mathematical techniques, such as regularization and renormalization, to properly define and manipulate the functional. Additionally, the path integral quantization approach can be mathematically complex and challenging to apply in practice.

How does the Generating Functional for the Free Dirac Field relate to other types of Generating Functionals?

The Generating Functional for the Free Dirac Field is a specific type of Generating Functional used in quantum field theory. It is similar to other Generating Functionals used in statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics, such as the partition function and the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics. However, the Generating Functional for the Free Dirac Field is unique in that it is specifically designed for the free Dirac field theory and takes into account its specific properties.