1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration over an Ellipsoidal Domain - Clarification

1. Aug 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to integrate a function over an Ellipsoidal domain.

[tex]\[
    \underset{\left(\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}}+\frac{z^{2}}{c^{2}}-1\right)}{\intop\intop\intop}f\left(x,y,z\right)dxdydz\][/tex]

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110799&highlight=volume+ellipsoid"
    I have already looked into the above thread and posts descibing this and i found that a bit too difficult to understand hence i tried out a solution of my own.

2.Question - A

Please could you tell me if my solution is right.

3. The attempt at a solution

I stay in the cartesian coordinate system but make a transoformation of variables and hence i also find the jacobian determinant for the volume transformation.

[tex]\[
    x=ua,y=vb,z=wc\][/tex]

and hence i get,

[tex]
    \[
    \underset{\left(u^{2}+v^{2}+w^{2}-1\right)}{\intop\intop\intop}f\left(ua,vb,wc\right)\left[abc\right]dududw\][/tex]

now this looks like i have a domain that is a unit sphere and to make things easier i transform from the cartesian co-ordinate system to the spherical co-ordinate system with the standard transofrmation rules and i get,

[tex]\[
    \intop_{0}^{2\pi}\intop_{0}^{\pi}\intop_{0}^{1}f\left(\frac{a}{r}cos\varphi sin\theta,\frac{b}{r}sin\varphi sin\theta,\frac{c}{r}cos\theta\right)\left[\left[abc\right]r^{2}sin\theta\right]drd\theta d\varphi\]
    [/tex]

hence to confirm whether its right i just have to assume the function = 1 and if i integrate i must get the volume of the ellipsoid,

[tex]\[
    \intop_{0}^{2\pi}\intop_{0}^{\pi}\intop_{0}^{1}\left[\left[abc\right]r^{2}sin\theta\right]drd\theta d\varphi\]
    [/tex]

which is simple to integrate and which exactly gives me the volume of an ellipsoid [tex]=\frac{4}{3}\pi abc[/tex]

2.Question - B

Now my function is a dirac delta function that in itself which is a function of certain vectors. When I Integrate my dirac delta function over the ellipsoid as above i get strange results.
    thanx a lot.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted