1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Overload

1. Oct 17, 2008 #1
    I've been integrating simple variations of integrals (sine, natural logs, polynomials, etc) for almost a year now in calc 1 and half of calc 2 (2281/2282).

The problem now is that I don't know where to start in a complicated integral. All these methods are running through my head and I can't figure out which one to use. I end up spending wayyyyyy too much time on one problem trying stuff and starting over when the derivative doesn't match up.

Is there some structured approach to integration?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2
    Hmmm... i think that besides those techinques that you have probbably learned already, the rest includes ingenuity, and the abbility to notice patterns.
  4. Oct 17, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

You ought to post the problem here if you're looking for help. Sometimes it may be that the integral itself doesn't have a solution expressible in elementary form.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?