Integration partial fractions

In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate a given equation and the different methods that can be used to solve it, such as equating coefficients and obtaining the numerator as a derivative of the denominator.
noobie!

Homework Statement

integrate (4x^2 + 3x + 6)/x^2 (x+2) dx

Homework Equations

don't have sorry..

The Attempt at a Solution

firstly = A/x + B/x^2 + C /x+2 , = A(x^2)(x+2) + B(x)(x+2) + C(x)(x^2) equating with the 4x^2 + 3x + 6,then i integrate it,but my ans turn out to be wrong..so could you please rectify my mistakes..thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
happy new year!

Hi noobie! :smile:
noobie! said:
(4x^2 + 3x + 6)/x^2 (x+2) dx

= A/x + B/x^2 + C /x+2 , = A(x^2)(x+2) + B(x)(x+2) + C(x)(x^2) equating with the 4x^2 + 3x + 6

Nooo … too many x's! :wink:

get some sleep :zzz:

then try again! :smile:

Try to obtain the numerator as a derivative of the denominator. And then the extra term which you get try to break it in simple parts.

Hi Noobie,

noobie! said:

Homework Statement

integrate (4x^2 + 3x + 6)/(x^2 (x+2)) dx

Homework Equations

don't have sorry..

The Attempt at a Solution

firstly = A/x + B/x^2 + C /x+2 , = A(x^2)(x+2) + B(x)(x+2) + C(x)(x^2) equating with the 4x^2 + 3x + 6,then i integrate it,but my ans turn out to be wrong..so could you please rectify my mistakes..thanks
If you have

[tex]\frac{4x^2+3x+6}{x^2(x+2)} = \frac{A}{x} + \frac{B}{x^2} + \frac{C}{x+2}[/tex]

then multiplying through gives

[tex]4x^2 + 3x + 6 = Ax(x+2) + B(x+2) + Cx^2[/tex].

Now you can equate coefficients as you intended to.

Unco the method which you did is the same which noobie has presented. It contains too many x's. There is an another nice way of doing it.

FedEx said:
Try to obtain the numerator as a derivative of the denominator. And then the extra term which you get try to break it in simple parts.

ok,i understand..thanks a lot..

noobie! said:
ok,i understand..thanks a lot..

Understood! What did you do with the remaining term?

1. What is partial fractions integration?

Partial fractions integration is a technique used in calculus to break down a complex rational function into simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate. It is used when the denominator of a rational function cannot be factored into linear factors.

2. When is partial fractions integration used?

Partial fractions integration is used when integrating rational functions with complex denominators, or when the degree of the numerator is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator. It is also commonly used in solving improper integrals.

3. How is partial fractions integration done?

To perform partial fractions integration, the rational function is first decomposed into simpler fractions using the method of partial fractions. The resulting fractions are then integrated separately, using basic integration rules. The final step is to combine the individual integrals into one expression.

4. What are the different types of partial fractions?

There are two types of partial fractions - proper fractions and improper fractions. Proper fractions have a degree of the numerator that is less than the degree of the denominator, while improper fractions have a degree of the numerator that is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator.

5. What are the benefits of using partial fractions integration?

Partial fractions integration allows for the integration of complex rational functions, which may not be possible using other integration techniques. It also simplifies the integration process, making it easier to solve integrals. Additionally, partial fractions are useful in solving differential equations in engineering and physics.