1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration problem 3, don't know what method to use (tried substitution and parts)

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Indefinite integral:
    e^(4x+(e^4x))

2. Relevant equations

I'm thinking integration by parts, involving UV minus integral of Vdu

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I saw that this can be split into two: e^(4x) times e^(e^4x)).
    The latter is a bit complicated. I searched on google but couldn't find anything useful. Substitution U for 4x or e^4x doesn't seem to work...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Integration problem 3, don't know what method to use (tried substitution and part

What's the derivative of e^(e^(4x))?

4. Feb 25, 2009 #3
    Re: Integration problem 3, don't know what method to use (tried substitution and part

umm... I'm gonna take a guess and say e^4 or e^e^4? But how is it done? I am a bit confused on it.

5. Feb 25, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the chain rule. Don't guess.

6. Feb 25, 2009 #5

With chain rule, is it 4(e^4)?

7. Feb 25, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where did the x go? I think you should review the chain rule before you answer again.

8. Feb 25, 2009 #7

well, derivative of e^4x is 4e^4x. So that must be an element of the entire answer.
    So it will be (something)(4e^4x). But how do you go about deriving the first run?

9. Feb 25, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use parentheses to group things, ok? The derivative of f(g(x)) is f'(g(x))*g'(x). What are f and g?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook