Integrating Complexity: Indefinite Integral of e^(4x+(e^4x))

In summary, the conversation is about solving the indefinite integral of e^(4x+(e^4x)) using integration by parts. The solution involves splitting the equation into two parts, with the latter being more complicated. The individual steps of using the chain rule are discussed, with the final answer being (something)(4e^4x).
NCyellow

Homework Statement

Indefinite integral:
e^(4x+(e^4x))

Homework Equations

I'm thinking integration by parts, involving UV minus integral of Vdu

The Attempt at a Solution

So I saw that this can be split into two: e^(4x) times e^(e^4x)).
The latter is a bit complicated. I searched on google but couldn't find anything useful. Substitution U for 4x or e^4x doesn't seem to work...

Physics news on Phys.org

What's the derivative of e^(e^(4x))?

umm... I'm going to take a guess and say e^4 or e^e^4? But how is it done? I am a bit confused on it.

Use the chain rule. Don't guess.

With chain rule, is it 4(e^4)?

Where did the x go? I think you should review the chain rule before you answer again.

well, derivative of e^4x is 4e^4x. So that must be an element of the entire answer.
So it will be (something)(4e^4x). But how do you go about deriving the first run?

Use parentheses to group things, ok? The derivative of f(g(x)) is f'(g(x))*g'(x). What are f and g?

What is the indefinite integral of e^(4x+(e^4x))?

The indefinite integral of e^(4x+(e^4x)) is equal to (e^4x)/4. This can be solved using the substitution method.

What is the process for integrating complex functions?

The process for integrating complex functions involves breaking the function into simpler parts, using substitution or integration by parts, and then summing the individual integrals to find the overall solution.

What is the significance of the indefinite integral in calculus?

The indefinite integral is significant in calculus as it represents the antiderivative of a function. It allows us to find the original function when given its derivative, and it is also used for solving problems involving rates of change and area under a curve.

Can indefinite integrals be solved using different methods?

Yes, indefinite integrals can be solved using different methods such as substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. The method used depends on the complexity of the function and the available techniques.

How can indefinite integrals be used in real-life applications?

Indefinite integrals are used in various real-life applications such as finding the distance traveled by an object, calculating the volume and surface area of objects, and determining the amount of work done by a force. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve complex problems.