1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration problem (need help)

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    if a spaceship accelerates, from restat time t = 0, at a rate of 2t / sqrt(1 + t^2) m/s at time t, calculate in years to 1 significant figure how long it would take to reach the speed of light?

my attempt

speed of light = 3.0 x 10^8 m/s
    integrate the rate function 2t / sqrt(1 + t^2) from t = 0, to the t we are looking for

integrating 2t / sqrt(1 + t^2)

using integration by parts;

let u = 1 + t^2, then du = 2t dt

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Before you go at an integral using integration by parts, you should always see if a simpler substitution will work. What you have shown is exactly the substitution I would use (your work does not show that you are doing integration by parts).

Using this substitution, what does your new integral look like?

4. Jul 24, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is NOT "integration by parts". Perhaps you should review that.
    You want to integrate
    [tex]\int \frac{2t dt}{\sqrt{1+ t^2}}[/tex]
    and you say [itex]u= 1+ t^2[/itex] and [itex]du= 2tdt[/itex]. Okay, doesn't it make sense to replace the "2tdt" in the integral by du and the "[itex]1+ t^2[/itex] in the integral by u?
    You might want to remember that [itex]1/\sqrt{a}= a^{-1/2}[/itex].

5. Jul 24, 2009 #4
    cheers, my mistake

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook