• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Integration problem of tan^5x

• Thread starter youmei0426
  • Start date
Problem Statement
find the integration of (tanx)^5
Relevant Equations
-
This is my working out, and I also included the correct answer in the last line. The answer used a different method, however, what did I do wrong with my method? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
##1 = \cos^2(x) + \sin^2(x)##

This is my working out, and I also included the correct answer in the last line. The answer used a different method, however, what did I do wrong with my method?
Your answer is also correct. You can verify that your answer is correct by differentiating it, which should result in the original integrand.

You should write your answer as ##\frac 1 4 \sec^4(x) - \sec^2(x) - \ln|\cos(x)| + C##
If you use the identity ##\sec^2(x) = \tan^2(x) + 1## on your answer, you should see that your answer and the posted answer differ only by a constant.

Your answer is also correct. You can verify that your answer is correct by differentiating it, which should result in the original integrand.

You should write your answer as ##\frac 1 4 \sec^4(x) - \sec^2(x) - \ln|\cos(x)| + C##
If you use the identity ##\sec^2(x) = \tan^2(x) + 1## on your answer, you should see that your answer and the posted answer differ only by a constant.
Aah i see now, thanks a lot!