Integrate $\int_{2}^{3}_\frac{x^2-2x+3}{(x-1)^2}dx$ Problem

In summary, the author has a question about integrating a function that has a number other than one on top of the fraction. They use substitution to simplify the problem, but are still confused. The answer is 0.5.
Briggs
I have a question in my book to evaluate
[tex]\int_{2}^{3}_\frac{x^2-2x+3}{(x-1)^2}dx[/tex]
I have completed the square on the top line of the fraction so that
[tex]\frac{x^2-2x+3}{(x-1)^2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{(x-1)^2+2}{(x-1)^2}[/tex]
I have simplified so I end up with [tex]\int_{2}^{3}1+\frac{2}{(x-1)^2}dx[/tex] and now I don't know how to integrate this function. I have never encountered an integral with a number other than one on top of the fraction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use u-substitution in this case.
So let u = x - 1, so du = dx.
The integral becomes:
[tex]\int \left( 1 + \frac{2}{(x - 1) ^ 2} \right) dx = \int dx + \int \frac{2}{(x - 1) ^ 2} dx = x + \int \frac{2}{u ^ 2} du[/tex], now after integrating: [tex]\int \frac{2}{u ^ 2} du[/tex], just change u back to x. After finding the anti-derivative of the function, just apply the limits to it, and you are done. Can you go from here?

Last edited:
Thanks for the help but the question is from the chapter before the substitution method so I don't think substitution is to be used. Is there another way to do it?

Perhaps you have used subtitution implicitly. As you said, we can simplify it to:

[tex]\int {1 + \frac{2}{{\left( {x - 1} \right)^2 }}} dx = \int 1 dx + \int {\frac{2}{{\left( {x - 1} \right)^2 }}dx} [/tex]

Now rewrite to see:

[tex]\int {\frac{2}{{\left( {x - 1} \right)^2 }}dx} = 2\int {\left( {x - 1} \right)^{ - 2} d\left( {x - 1} \right)} [/tex]

I'm a little confused, would it be..

[tex]2[\frac{(x-1)^-1}{-1}][/tex] with limits 2 and 1? Actually that wouldn't work because of 0^-1, is there any way to get rid of the -1?

Last edited:
You integrated that second part correctly, but the limits just stay the same as in your original problem, being 2 and 3.

Therefore the answer would be (3+-1)-(2+-2) = 2?

2 is correct, if you're referring to the entire (initial) integral.

Yes, thank you for your help.

No problem :smile:

Oh by the way, is it correct in saying (X+1)^2 is the same as (X+1)(X-1)

Briggs said:
Oh by the way, is it correct in saying (X+1)^2 is the same as (X+1)(X-1)
Certainly not, you can see that by working out both expressions.

Of course, it's easy to see that (x+1)² = (x+1)(x+1) and that's not the same as (x+1)(x-1).
Perhaps you're confused with the identity a²-b² = (a-b)(a+b) with a = x and b = 1.

Yes I was getting mixed up with the difference of two squares because I am trying to solve [tex]\int_{0}^{1}_\frac{x^2+2x}{(x+1)^2}dx[/tex]
This led me to[tex]\int_{0}^{1}_\frac{(x-1)^2-1}{(x+1)^2}dx[/tex] but I have completed the square wrongly and it should be [tex](x+1)^2-1[/tex] which was leading be astray a bit :)

Last edited:
Ok, but were you able to do it or are you stuck somewhere?

Yep thanks to your help earlier I have completed the question. I got the answer as 0.5

Briggs said:
Yep thanks to your help earlier I have completed the question. I got the answer as 0.5
That is correct :smile:

1. What is the function being integrated?

The function being integrated is (x2 - 2x + 3) / (x - 1)2.

2. What are the limits of integration?

The limits of integration are 2 and 3.

3. What is the method for integrating this function?

The method for integrating this function is using the substitution method with u = x - 1.

4. Can this integral be solved without substitution?

No, this integral cannot be solved without substitution as it is a rational function with a quadratic term in the denominator.

5. What is the final answer?

After substitution and simplification, the final answer is ln|u| - 1/(x - 1) + C. Substituting back in u = x - 1 and applying the limits of integration, the final answer is ln|2| - 1 + 1/(3 - 1) - (ln|3| - 1 + 1/(3 - 1)).