1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Problem

1. Jan 11, 2006 #1
    Hey everyone,
    I can't seem to figure out how to do this integral. If anyone could help that would be great. I would appreciate some hints/advice, rather than just the answer. Thanks!
    The question is:
    Evaluate the indefinite integral:
    Ok... So i know you can take the integral of each term seperatly because it is a sum and that is a principle of integrals.... so i get the first part to be -4cos(x). However I am not sure how to evalue the antiderivative of 3tan(x). If anyone could help that would be great!
    Thanks again.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Noting that tan x = sin x/cos x, you can integrate by subsitution using u=cos x.
  4. Jan 13, 2006 #3
    ok...... so i tried that.
    so with the substitution you end up with du/u whose antiderivative is -ln(absolute value)U. U is cosx so it is -ln(abs)cosx. Moving the negative sign into the logarithm gives ln(abs)secx. So my final answer would be...
    4cosx+3ln(abs)secx. Im not to sure this is right though. Could one of you smart math people check and if i made an error somewhere point me in the right direction.
    Thanks alot for the help!
  5. Jan 13, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Watch your signs, the antiderivative of sin(x) is -cos(x).
  6. Jan 13, 2006 #5
    Oh yes...
    So is the final answer:
    Thanks for pointing that out. (i think i fixed it)

Another quick question that I cant seem to figure out...
    Find the definite integral from 0 to 1 of:
    I thought this may be another substitution question but I cant see what to substitute. Any help would be great!
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  7. Jan 13, 2006 #6

Homework Helper

I was referring to the term 4cos(x) which should actually be -4cos(x) :smile:
  8. Jan 13, 2006 #7

For the second, let u= 5x + 6 from there it is easy to see that x^2 = (u-6)^2/25, then expand and integrate.
  9. Jan 14, 2006 #8
    I dont really understand that Tx. If i let U=5xt6 i end up with x^2(U)^(1/2)(du/5) which doesnt seem to help me in any way. Some more advice would be good! :smile: I appreciate the help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?