Integration Problem: Need Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a past exam paper that the speaker does not understand. They provide an answer from their lecturer but are looking for a different explanation. The question involves finding the integral of tan^(2n)x from 0 to pi/4. The speaker provides a solution using substitution and the final result is 1/(2n-1) minus the integral of tan^(2n-2)x.
Xaif
There's a question here from a past exam paper I don't understand. I have the answer that my lecturer gave but the problem is I just don't really understand it. I'm hoping that another explanation from a different person may help. The question is:

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/5130/mathih7.gif

I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let [tex]I_{2n}=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\tan^{2n}x\, dx[/tex], then

[tex]I_{2n}=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\tan^{2n-2}x(\sec^{2}x-1)\, dx=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\tan^{2n-2}x\sec^{2}x\, dx-\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\tan^{2n-2}x\, dx=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\tan^{2n-2}x\sec^{2}x\, dx-I_{2n-2}[/tex]​

now substitute [tex]u=\tan x\Rightarrow du=\sec^{2}x\,dx[/tex] so that [tex]0\leq x\leq \frac{\pi}{4}\Rightarrow 0\leq u\leq 1[/tex] and the integral becomes

[tex]I_{2n}=\int_{0}^{1}u^{2n-2}du-I_{2n-2}=\left[\frac{u^{2n-1}}{2n-1}\right]_{u=0}^{1}-I_{2n-2}=\frac{1}{2n-1}-I_{2n-2}[/tex]​

Sure, I'd be happy to help provide an explanation for this integration problem. First, let's break down the question into smaller parts.

The integral given in the question is asking you to find the area under the curve y = x^3 + 2x^2 - 5x + 3 between the limits of x = 0 and x = 2. This can be represented mathematically as:

∫(0 to 2) (x^3 + 2x^2 - 5x + 3)dx

To solve this, we can use the power rule for integration, which states that the integral of x^n is equal to (x^(n+1))/(n+1). Applying this rule to each term in the given function, we get:

∫(0 to 2) (x^3 + 2x^2 - 5x + 3)dx = (x^4)/4 + (2x^3)/3 - (5x^2)/2 + 3x + C

Next, we plug in the limits of integration (0 and 2) and subtract the result of plugging in 0 from the result of plugging in 2. This is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. So, our final answer is:

[(2^4)/4 + (2^3)/3 - (5(2^2))/2 + 3(2)] - [(0^4)/4 + (0^3)/3 - (5(0^2))/2 + 3(0)] = 9.33

Now, I'm not sure what answer your lecturer gave, but I hope this explanation helps you understand the steps and reasoning behind solving this integration problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is integration and why is it important?

Integration is the process of finding the antiderivative of a given function. It is important because it allows us to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the area under a curve or calculating displacement.

2. How do you solve an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You start by identifying the function and then use the appropriate technique to find its antiderivative.

3. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integration?

Indefinite integration results in a general solution, whereas definite integration results in a specific numerical value. Indefinite integration includes the constant of integration, while definite integration has limits of integration.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving integration problems?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to add the constant of integration, using the wrong integration technique, and incorrect algebraic manipulations. It is also important to check for any mistakes in the final answer by differentiating it.

5. How can I practice and improve my integration skills?

The best way to practice integration is by solving a variety of problems using different techniques. You can find practice problems in textbooks, online resources, or even create your own problems. It is also helpful to review the steps and concepts behind each integration technique.