Solve Integration Problem: Find Area Between f(x) & g(x)

• Thread starter stanners
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the task is to find the area of the region between the curves f(x) = 3x^2 and g(x) = sqrt(x/3) for 0 <= x <= 1. The method involves setting up integrals, with the integral of 3x^2 equal to x^3. However, the integral of sqrt(x/3) should be 1/sqrt(3) multiplied by the integral of x^(1/2). This should lead to the correct solution.
stanners
Sorry this is the first time using this forum.. so I'm not too good with writing out the equations

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region between the curves f(x) = 3x^2 and g(x) = sqrt(x/3) for 0 <= x <= 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So.. since g(x) is greater than f(x) from 0 to 1/3, and less from 1/3 to 1.

I set up the integrals

[int. from 0 to 1/3 of g(x) - int. from 0 to 1/3 of f(x)] + [int. from 1/3 to 1 of f(x) - int. from 1/3 to 1 of g(x)]

Is that set up correctly?

Next is where my problem is... :confused:
integral of 3x^2 is x^3, but how do I integrate sqrt(x/3) ?

I used the power rule and got [2(x/3)^3/2]/3, but that doesn't seem right, please help me out with this.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method seems fine but your integration of the square root is slightly out. Try integrating the following and see why you are slightly out.

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\times x^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Yeah, just factor out the 1/sqrt[3] and treat the sqrt[x] on its own.

So would I end up with 1/sqrt(3) * int. (x^3/2) / (3/2) ?

stanners said:
So would I end up with 1/sqrt(3) * int. (x^3/2) / (3/2) ?

Yes, of course, but without the integral sign thingy. :)

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that allows you to find the area under a curve by breaking it up into smaller sections and summing them together. It is the inverse operation of differentiation.

What is the area between two curves?

The area between two curves is the total area enclosed by the two curves on a graph. It can be found by subtracting the area under the lower curve from the area under the higher curve.

How do I solve an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you will need to use integration rules and techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or integration by trigonometric substitution. You will also need to set up and solve the integral using the given boundaries and functions.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the area between two specific boundaries on a graph, while indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function without any boundaries. Definite integration will give you a numerical value, while indefinite integration will give you a function.

Can I use a calculator to solve integration problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve integration problems. Many calculators have built-in integration functions that can solve simple integrals. However, for more complex problems, it is recommended to use integration rules and techniques to find the solution by hand.