Integrating: Find Indefinite Integral of sec^2(x)/sqrt(1-tan^2(x))

• Thread starter benedwards2020
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the student is struggling with integrating the numerator and the denominator. They need help from someone who is more familiar with the subject matter to complete the task.
benedwards2020
I need to find the indefinite integral

[tex]\int \frac{sec^2 (x)}{\sqrt{1-tan^2 (x)}}[/tex]

Now, I'm not sure which method to use here... I think that the quotient and the square root is confusing me here. I can certainly integrate the numerator - that's not the problem, I'm not sure how to handle the demoninator. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to tackle this? It's the last question on the paper and I'd like to attempt to answer it.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about substituting [itex]u=tan(x)[/itex]

ok, so this will give me

[tex]\frac{sec^2 (x)}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}[/tex]

where

[tex]\frac{du}{dx}=sec^2 dx[/tex]

And to get rid of the root, will give us

[tex]\frac{sec^2 (x)}{(1-u^2)^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Am I right so far?

Yeah almost there. What you end up with after the substitution is this integral.

[tex] \int \frac{du}{(1-u^2)^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

To deal with this will require another substitution and it will turn the integral into something trivial.

HINT: think trig identities.

Ok, that makes sense... Now I have a list of trig identities and I can see that

[tex]arctan(x) = \frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex]

Again its that half power that's confusing me...

Unless arcsin(x) is correct. Hmm

[tex]arcsin(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

which is the same as

[tex]\frac{1}{(1-u^2)^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Which is very close to what we have

Last edited:
That will link in later but if for now you try the substitution [itex]u=sin(t)[/itex] and see where that takes you.

Hmm... I don't think I'm following you for the second substitution... My books don't give me those examples.

If i say that

[tex]\frac{1}{(1-u^2)^\frac{1}{2}} = arcsin[/tex]

But that u = tan(x)

Surely we can conclude that the answer is

arcsin(tan(x)) ?

That is the answer. If you do the sin substitution you can confirm this for yourself which is what I was aiming at. But hey well done for spotting that :smile:

Thankyou... And many thanks for you help.

1. What is the first step in finding the indefinite integral of sec^2(x)/sqrt(1-tan^2(x))?

The first step is to rewrite the given expression using trigonometric identities. In this case, we can use the identity sec^2(x) = 1 + tan^2(x) to rewrite the expression as (1 + tan^2(x)) / sqrt(1-tan^2(x)).

2. How can we simplify the integrand before integrating?

We can simplify the integrand by factoring out a common term of tan^2(x) from the numerator and denominator. This will leave us with 1 / sqrt(1-tan^2(x)).

3. What substitution should be made to solve the integral?

The substitution u = tan(x) is commonly used to solve this type of integral. This will transform the integral into 1 / sqrt(1-u^2), which can be solved using the inverse sine function.

4. What are the limits of integration for this integral?

Since the original expression is an indefinite integral, there are no specific limits of integration. However, when evaluating the definite integral, the limits will depend on the given interval of integration.

5. Can this integral be solved using integration by parts?

No, integration by parts is not applicable in this case. This method is used for integrals involving products of two functions, while the given expression only has one function in the numerator.