1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Problem

1. Nov 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty}x^3.e^{-x^2} \mathrm{d}x [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried substitution u=x^2, u=x^3; integration by parts; squeeze theorem; partial fraction decomp; taylor series expansion- but nothing seems to work. I know the limit of [tex]x^3.e^{-x^2}[/tex] as x tends to infinity is zero, but that doesn't help.
    Any help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2007 #2
    That should work.

4. Nov 10, 2007 #3
    Well, ok.

Let u = x^2 , then: du = 2x.dx. And then what? We have an x^3 in the integration, so I don't see how it works.

5. Nov 10, 2007 #4
    But x3 = x.x2, isn't it?

6. Nov 10, 2007 #5
    Yes, but then we would have:

[tex]x^2.e^{-u}.du[/tex] or am I missing something?

7. Nov 10, 2007 #6
    You just did the sub u=x^2 a couple of steps ago.

8. Nov 10, 2007 #7
    AHA!!! Oh thank-you neutrino! I can't believe I never saw that! Gee, I feel like an idiot! Thank-you again!

9. Nov 10, 2007 #8
    You're welcome. Make a hobby out of solving integrals (if you're into those kind of things), and you'll start recognising the methods with just a look at the integral. (For some of them, at least. :biggrin:)

10. Nov 10, 2007 #9
    Actually I quite dislike calculus. I find it dry and boring. Or atleast that's the way my first year course presents it. But I guess you are right, I need to do more calculus problems if I want to be a mathematician :tongue:, which I do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?