1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Problem

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    [tex]\int[/tex](tan x)^2(sec x)^2
    The book shows the integration going straight to
    (tan x)^3/3
    Which I can see how to get that, simply raise the tangent to +1 power & then divide by three, but I'm not seeing where the secant cancels out. I checked the back of the book integrals but couldn't find anything there. Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try a substitution u=tan x. What is du/dx?
  4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    Thanks, its sometimes unbelievable the little things you over look. I even tried to set u=sec x... but for some reason never thought of doing that to tangent.
  5. Dec 5, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The fact that you have forgotten to have the differential (dx) in your integral shows you aren't too familiar with integration by substitution =[ Try revising your textbook!
  6. Dec 5, 2007 #5
    What are you talking about? If u=tan x, then du=(sec x)^2, which cancels the secant in the equation perfectly.

Then to integrate (tan x)^2, simply add one to the power, (tan x)^3 & then divide by three.
  7. Dec 5, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I know, but in your first post you didn't write the dx in your integral, which is crucial to actually 'cancel' with the dx in the du/dx term.
  8. Dec 5, 2007 #7
    You're right, I should have written the dx, but its more of a minor annoyance, so long as you're canceling them out in your head. I read your post incorrectly, when you said "to have," I read "to halve." The correct English to be "forgotten the differential." :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?