Solve Integration Problem: a=(-2v)m/s^2, v=20m/s, s=0, t=0

• Thread starter yoleven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the particle is moving along a straight line such that its acceleration is defined as a=(-2v)m/s^2. If v=20 m/s when s=0 and t=0, determine the particle's velocity as a function of position and the distance the particle moves before it stops.
yoleven

Homework Statement

A particle is moving along a straight line such that its acceleration is defined as a=(-2v)m/s^2.
If v=20 m/s when s=0 and t=0, determine the particle's velocity as a function of position and the distance the particle moves before it stops.

The answer is v=(20-2s)m/s ; s=10m

Homework Equations

a=[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

a=[tex]\frac{dv}{ds}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{ds}{dt}[/tex] which becomes...

ads=vdv

The Attempt at a Solution

given: a=(-2v) m/s
v=20 m/s
t=0
s=0
solution attempt:

a=[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

-2v*dt=dv

dt=-[tex]\frac{dv}{-2v}[/tex]

[tex]\int dt[/tex] = [tex]\int\frac{dv}{-2v}[/tex]

That's as far as I can get. If I evaluate the left hand side from 0 to t, I get t.
If I evaluate the left, I get messed up. If I pull out the -[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex],
I am left with [tex]\frac{1}{v}[/tex]. I think the integral of that is ln v.
I need some direction on this one please.

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is about damping. You have an object moving against a force proportional to its velocity, but directed opposite to it: F = -bv. The solution is an exponentially decaying one. This is what you got!

-2t = ln v + C ===> [tex]v = v_0 e^{-2t}[/tex]

I need velocity as a function of position.
How about this?
Can I use the equation v^2=v0^2+2a([tex]\Delta s)[/tex]

then I get v= [tex]\sqrt{200-4s}[/tex]

which would give me v=20-2s which is the answer in the book.

My concern here is the "s" and the value for "a" is -2v not just -2.
How do I deal with this under the square root sign?

You can't use that equation because that only applies when one has constant acceleration.

(1) [tex] v= v_0 e^{-t/\tau}[/tex]

(2) [tex] x = v_0\int_0^t e^{-\frac{t'}{\tau}} dt' = v_0\tau(1 - e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}})[/tex]

Solve for time in second equation (2). Then you can substitute that into (1). It will get hairy, but you should get an answer like the one in your book. Remember: [tex]e^{\ln{x}} = x[/tex].

1. What is the value of acceleration (a) given the values for velocity (v), displacement (s), and time (t)?

The value of acceleration (a) can be determined using the formula a = (v - u)/t, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and t is the time. In this case, v = 20m/s, s = 0, and t = 0. Therefore, a = (20m/s - 0m/s)/0s = undefined.

2. Can the integration problem be solved without knowing the value of displacement (s)?

Yes, the integration problem can still be solved without knowing the value of displacement (s) as long as the values for velocity (v) and time (t) are known. The formula for acceleration (a) can be used to solve for the integration problem.

3. How is acceleration (a) related to velocity (v) and displacement (s)?

Acceleration (a) is the rate of change of velocity (v), which in turn is the rate of change of displacement (s). In other words, acceleration is the second derivative of displacement with respect to time.

4. Can the integration problem be solved if the time (t) is not equal to zero?

Yes, the integration problem can still be solved if the time (t) is not equal to zero. However, the resulting value for acceleration (a) will be different depending on the value of time (t).

5. How is the unit of acceleration (a) represented in the given values?

The unit of acceleration (a) is represented as m/s^2, which stands for meters per second squared. This unit is commonly used to measure acceleration in physics and engineering.