1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration problem

1. Aug 17, 2004 #1
    After learning a few more techniques at integration and practicing the books thrown me in the deep end, giving me 50 integration questions with usually no clue of what method to use >_<.

Here's one i'm stuck on, and my working thus far:

Integrate with respect to x:

x^2/(x-2) dx
    I rewrote it as: x^2.(x-2)^-1

I then tried to use integration by parts, thinking that eventually i would be able to bring the x^2 down to 2, and produce an integral i could solve.

V = x^2, dv/dx = 2x, du = (x-2)^-1, u = ln[x-2].

x^2ln[x-2] - integral of (2xln[x-2])

So i thought i would need to use integration by parts again, to solve the above integral and bring the 2x to a 2.

Integral of (2xln[x-2])
    v = 2x, dv/dx = 2, du = ln[x-2], u = ?, where's where i'm having problems, i've tried using integration by parts again to calculate ln[x-2] but simply can't do it, as the new expression is becoming constantly more difficult.

I thought about substitution, but i would need to take u = x^2, with du/dx as 2x, however, this would only produce u/(du/dx - 2) dx, which isn't going anywhere.

Some help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2004 #2
    Finding the integral of ln(x) is easy. ln(x) is 1 * ln(x). In the integration by parts formula, take the part to be integrated to be "1" and the factor to be differentiated to be "ln(x)" (I think this translates to V = ln(x) and du = 1 in your notation, but I can't be bothered to check it).

Also, substitution will work for the original integral. Take u = x - 2, then du = dx and x^2 = (u + 2)^2. The integral turns into (u + 2)^2 / u du, which surely is trivial to integrate. Performing polynomial division on x^2/(x - 2) will also work.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  4. Aug 17, 2004 #3
    Ahh, thanks. So subsitution did work. I totally forgot that i could set u as (x-2) instead of x^2., it makes it even easier as du/dx = 1.
    Silly mistakes, it will come with practice i guess.
  5. Aug 17, 2004 #4
    Okay, i've just done the substitution, using u = x-2 it becomes:

Integrate: u + 4 + 4.u^-1
    = 0.5u^2 + 4u + 4ln
    = 0.5(x-2)(x-2) + 4(x-2) + 4ln[x-2]
    = 0.5(x^2 - 4x + 4) + 4x - 8 + 4ln[x-2]
    = 0.5x^2 - 2x + 2 + 4x - 8 + 4ln[x-2]
    = 0.5x^2 + 2x - 6 + 4ln[x-2]

But the book gives the answer as:
    0.5x^2 + 2x + 4ln[x-2].

Is the book incorrect or have i made a stupid mistake somewhere?
    Thanks for the help.
  6. Aug 17, 2004 #5
    What happens to -6 when you differentiate 0.5x^2 + 2x - 6 + 4ln[x-2]? It becomes zero and vanishes.

To be absolutely correct, you have to say that the integral of x^2/(x - 2) is 0.5x^2 + 2x + 4ln[x-2] + C, where C is any real number...
  7. Aug 17, 2004 #6
    So the -6 will just effect the constant? As this is integration - not yet solvable differential equations i should just skip the terms without x in as they just effect the constant?
  8. Aug 17, 2004 #7
    Pretty much yes.

Yes, all constant terms can be removed and replaced with a single constant instead.
  9. Aug 17, 2004 #8
    Thanks very much for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?