Need help with integration by substitution for 9X^4 + 9X^2?

• Thread starter superkam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the person is struggling with solving the integral \int \sqrt{9X^4 + 9X^2} and is considering using integration by substitution. They have attempted using U = 9X^4 + 9X^2 as the substitution but did not make progress. Another person suggests using trigonometric or hyperbolic substitution to solve the integral.
superkam

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm having trouble with the following problem:

[tex] \int \sqrt{9X^4 + 9X^2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

Integration by substitution? U = some form of X

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi,
I assume that the best way to solve this integral is by using some sort of substitution, the problem is I don't exactly know what the substitute. I've tried the obvious option;[tex] U = 9X^4 + 9X^2 [/tex] but didn't really get anywhere.
If anyone could give me any clues on what substitution to use I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

Kam

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\sqrt{9 x^{4} + 9 x^{2}} = \sqrt{9 x^{2} (x^{2} + 1)} = 3 x \sqrt{x^{2} + 1}
[/tex]

Then, you can either do the trigonometric substitution:

[tex]
x = \tan{t}
[/tex]

or the hyperbolic substitution:

[tex]
x = \sinh{t}
[/tex]

x^2 + 1 = t also works well.

Okay, thank you very much for your help :)

ila

Hi Kamila,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your integration problem. I am happy to assist you.

It looks like you have already attempted to use substitution by setting U = 9X^4 + 9X^2. However, this substitution may not be the most efficient way to solve this integral.

A helpful tip for choosing a substitution is to look for a function within the integral that has a derivative that is also present in the integral. In this case, both 9X^4 and 9X^2 have derivatives of 36X^3 and 18X, respectively.

So, let's try substituting U = 9X^2. Then, we have dU = 18X dX, which is present in the integral.

\int \sqrt{9X^4 + 9X^2} = \int \sqrt{9X^2(9X^2 + 1)} = \int \sqrt{U(U+1)}

Now, we can use the substitution U = 9X^2 to simplify the integral.

\int \sqrt{U(U+1)} = \int \sqrt{U} * \sqrt{U+1} dU

Using the power rule for integration, we can integrate \sqrt{U} to get \frac{2}{3}U^{\frac{3}{2}}.

So, our final solution is:

\int \sqrt{9X^4 + 9X^2} = \frac{2}{3} (9X^2)^{\frac{3}{2}} * \frac{2}{3}(9X^2 + 1)^{\frac{3}{2}} + C

= \frac{2}{3} (9X^2)^{\frac{3}{2}} * \frac{2}{3}(9X^2 + 1)^{\frac{3}{2}} + C

= \frac{2}{3} * 9^{\frac{3}{2}} * X^3 * \frac{2}{3} * (9X^2 + 1)^{\frac{3}{2}} + C

= 6X^3 * \frac{2}{3} * (9X^2 + 1)^{\frac{3}{2}} + C

=

1. What is an integration problem?

An integration problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the antiderivative of a given function. This is also known as integration or finding the area under a curve.

2. Why is integration important in science?

Integration is important in science because it allows us to calculate important quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and volume. It is also used to solve differential equations, which are essential in understanding many scientific phenomena.

3. What are the different methods for solving an integration problem?

There are several methods for solving an integration problem, including substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. Each method is useful for specific types of integrals and can be chosen based on the given function.

4. How can I check if my solution to an integration problem is correct?

You can check if your solution to an integration problem is correct by taking the derivative of your solution and seeing if it matches the original function. This is known as the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. Are there any shortcuts for solving integration problems?

There are some common integration rules and formulas that can be used as shortcuts for solving certain types of integrals. These include the power rule, logarithmic rule, and trigonometric identities. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and methods for solving integration problems rather than relying solely on shortcuts.