Solve Integral: x^2[e^(-x^2)] from -∞ to ∞

• Thread starter newton1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, you must do two integrals to integrate by parts. The first integrates from -infinity to +infinity and the second integrates from 0 to infinity. The integrand should be differentiable and it's derivative continuous. The exponential function has a power series expansion and is uniformly convergent and eeh..
newton1
how to do this integration??
[tex]\int x^2 [e^{-x^2}] dx[/tex]
from [tex] - \infty \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Break it into two integrals:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^0 x^2 e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} x^2 e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

You must do this because you will not be able to do two limits in your definite integration.

From there, it's just simple integration-by-parts, taking the limit of what you get by doing the integrations, and adding them.

You are familiar with improper integrals?

Edit: Before you begin implementing those integration skills of your's, make sure the integral is convergent, otherwise, you'll just be wasting time.

Last edited:
Cute! My first thought was that integration by parts wouldn't work because you can't integrate [itex]e^{-x^2}[/tex] but if you let u= x, [itex]dv= xe^{-x^2}[/itex] ,it works nicely!

Last edited by a moderator:
However you tackle this you'll soon realize the answer involves the error function.

However even so it's still not that difficult to work out what you need.

I learned a nice trick by using:
[tex]I(a)=\int \limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\exp(-ax^2)dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex]
Differentiate both sides with respect to a:
[tex]\frac{dI}{da}=-\int \limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty}x^2\exp(-ax^2)dx=-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a^3}}[/tex]
So
[tex]\int \limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty}x^2\exp(-ax^2)dx=\frac{1}{2a}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex]
Might be faster than partial integration. It's definitely more fun.

Last edited:
You have to prove something about the integral before you can do that, though... I can't remember what off hand.

Hurkyl said:
You have to prove something about the integral before you can do that, though... I can't remember what off hand.

EDIT: The integrand should be differentiable en it's derivative continuous.

It's legal.

Last edited:
That's it? I thought I recalled that there had to be some sort of uniform convergence or something going on. (Do those conditions prove the uniform convergence necessary?)

Yeah, I guess that's true.
There are probably two theorems you need. One for bringing the derivative under the integral (that's Leibniz rule), which I know is true if the integration limits do not extend to infinity. For this the integrand must be differentiable and it's derivative continuous. (not the value I(a), my mistake).

The exponential function has a power series expansion and is uniformly convergent and eeh..

Aaack, whatever. The exponent is a very nice function, so all the tricks probably work.
I learned this trick in PHYSICS class okay? They don't care about that. :grumpy: :rofl:

You can prove that integral(-inf-->+inf) exp(-x^2) dx = sqrt(pi) by converting (squaring it) to a double integral or you can use the residue theorem after converting it to a complex integral. The first way is easier.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the total amount or accumulation of a quantity over an interval.

2. What does the notation "x^2[e^(-x^2)]" mean?

The notation "x^2[e^(-x^2)]" represents the function that is being integrated. In this case, x^2 is multiplied by the exponential function e^-x^2.

3. How do I solve this integral?

To solve this integral, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You can also use a graphing calculator or online integral solver to find the answer.

4. What is the significance of the limits of -∞ and ∞?

The limits of -∞ and ∞ represent the entire real number line. This means that the integral is being evaluated over the entire range of possible values for x.

5. What is the application of solving this integral?

This integral has various applications in physics, engineering, and statistics. It can be used to find the probability of a continuous random variable, calculate areas and volumes, and solve differential equations.