1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Problem

1. Jan 29, 2005 #1
    I have to find the convolution of two identical square functions.
    [tex]
    F(t)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}1,&\mbox{ if } 0\leq t < 1\\0, & \mbox otherwise\end{array}\right.
    [/tex]

I need to calculate F * F
    [tex](F * F)(t) = \int_{\infty}^{-\infty} F(u)F(t-u) du[/tex]

The first thing I did was change integration limit to [0,1] and F(u) to 1. My main problem is F(t-u).

F(t-u) = 1 when
    0 < t-u < 1
    -1 < u-t < 0
    t-1 < u < t

I think thus far I haven't made any mistakes. Now what do I do to substitue F(t-u)? I think my options are to either redefine the integration limit (but it should be [0,1]) or somehow write F(t-u) as a algebraic function. I don't see how I can do the latter. If someone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

oh and the resulting convolution is a hat function.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Would this not just be

(F * F)(t) = 1 - |t - 1| for 0 < t < 2, 0 otherwise?

The integrand will have a value of 1 where both F(u) and F(t - u) take on the value of 1, which is when their arguments both take on values in [0, 1); the integrand is zero elsewhere. If you can characterize the interval on which both F(u) and F(t - u) are 1, then the length of that interval will be the value of the integral. That interval is then where both t-1 < u < t as you found and where 0 < u < 1. It is the intersection of (t-1, t] and [0, 1). You can see that there will be a non-empty intersection only if t > 0 and t-1 < 1, i.e. t < 2, so the integrand will only take on non-zero values ever if 0 < t < 2. Otherwise, it will be 0 everywhere, and the integral will be zero everywhere. In fact, when t = 0, we get:

[tex]\int _{-\infty} ^{\infty}F(u)F(t - u)du = \int _{-\infty} ^{\infty}F(u)F(0 - u)du = \int _0 ^01du = 0[/tex]

So we can even say that F*F(t) = 0 unless 0 < t < 2, as I did near the top of my post. To figure out what F*F will do on that interval, you need to figure out the length of the intersection of [0,1) and (t-1,t] for the values of t in (0,2). This should be pretty simple, if not, pick a few values of t and do it yourself to find out how to define F*F for these values of t. It will look like a triangle with values of 0 at 0 and 2, coming up to a point in the middle with a value of 1 at t=1 (I suppose this shape is the "hat" you're talking about).

4. Jan 30, 2005 #3
    thanks for help

I didn't think about defining the intersection of the intervals that way but it really makes sense. However to define what F*F looks like in general for arbitrary functions of F (not given in algebraic form), I just need to calculate a few values (or graph) and find an equation that fits?

edit:
    I decided to define it piecewise since I need to calculate the convolution of F with (F*F). It sure gets messy but I think I got it.

F*F is nonzero on interval 0<t<2
    so

0<t<1
    [tex](F * F)(t) = \int_{t}^{0} du = t[/tex]

1<t<2
    [tex](F * F)(t) = \int_{1}^{t-1} du = 2-t[/tex]

If anyone is wondering what all this is for, this is an assignment from my intro to wavelets and splines class. The original F (box function) is a local averaging linear functional (operates on functions). F*F produces a hat function and F*(F*F) produces a bell curve like function (called quadratic B-spline). So more applications of this averaging function F will produce even smoother functions I believe. I would say this is due to the fact that the "time" scale of F is rather large compare to the functions it operates on. It's pretty neat I think. Once again thanks AKG for your help.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?