1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration problem

1. Jul 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the definite integral [itex]\int\frac{x^3}{\sqrt{x^2 + 1}}[/itex] dx from 0 to 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This problem is in the integration by parts section .. I chose u = x^3 , and dv=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 + 1}}[/itex] so v = [itex]\frac{x^4}{4}[/itex] and du = -(x^2 + 1)^([itex]\frac{-3}{2}[/itex]) , so the integral is equal to [itex]\frac{x^4}{4}[/itex] . [itex]\frac{1}{√x^2 + 1}[/itex] - [itex]\int\frac{x^4}{4}[/itex] . -(x^2 + 1)^([itex]\frac{-3}{2}[/itex]) .. and my problem is the integral on the right hand side of the equation; I don't know how to integrate it and I don't know whether if I've chosen the parts correctly or there is a better way of choosing the parts

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2013 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about first doing a change of variables s=x2. Now ds=2xdx and the integrand simplifies considerably.

4. Jul 22, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

If the change of variable doesn't float your boat, you could use a trig substitution of ##x = atanθ##.

5. Jul 22, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It isn't the easiest way to work the problem, but if you really want to use integration by parts, try$$
    u = x^2,\,dv=\frac x {\sqrt{x^2+1}}$$

6. Jul 22, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the OP, if u = x^3, then du = 3x^2 dx, not that weird expression. This is basic differentiation.

And if dv = dx/SQRT(x^2+1), then v certainly is not equal to (1/4)*x^4.

You should review the formulas for derivatives and simple integrals.

7. Jul 22, 2013 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have "u" and "v" confused. With u= x^3, du= 3x^2dx- you differentiated v. With [itex]dv= \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+ 1}}[/itex], [itex]v= arctan(x)[/itex]- you integrated u.

8. Jul 24, 2013 #7
    A one solve the definite integral

∫x2/√x2+1 dx={z=x2+1,dz=2*x*dx}=
    ∫(z-1)/(2√z) dz=1/3*z3/2-√z={x=0⇔z=1,x=1⇔z=2}=(2-√2)/3

9. Jul 24, 2013 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All these responses and suggestions, and Zerkor never returned to his thread. :frown:

10. Jul 24, 2013 #9
    I tried this one and it didn't work .. In the sections I've studied in the previous two days I learned trigonometric substitution and miscellaneous substitution; I think I have to try working this problem with those techniques

11. Jul 24, 2013 #10
    Thanks a lot guys for your help and I'm sorry for replying after a long period but I didn't access the forum through those two days :)

12. Jul 24, 2013 #11

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Without showing your work, we can't say why integration by parts didn't work for you, except you must have made a mistake. IBP does work for this integral, but your earlier postings show that you do not have a grasp on how to apply it correctly.

13. Jul 24, 2013 #12
    May be you are right. But I've just worked it using trigonometric substitution using x = tanθ and it worked correctly .. Maybe there exist a way to find it using IBP but it's a hard way and there is no use for it if there is an easier way :)

14. Jul 24, 2013 #13

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But since you are learning calculus, don't you think it might be of some value to figure out why it's not working for you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted