Solving ∫dx/a^2sin^2x+b^2cos^2x | Homework Equations & Attempt at Solution

• Thread starter Dumbledore211
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the integral ∫dx/a^2sin^2x+b^2cos^2x can be solved by using the substitution u = tan x or by rewriting the denominator as b^2cos^2(x)(a^2/b^2tan^2x + 1) and letting u = a/b * tan x.
Dumbledore211

Homework Statement

∫dx/a^2sin^2x+b^2cos^2x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I attempted to solve this integral analytically but I couldn't. I tried to solve this by using trig identities like (1+cos2x)/2 and (1-cos2x)/2 but it got even more complicated. Can any of you drop a hint as to how it should be done

Physics news on Phys.org
The whole denominator thing seems very complex for me to solve. How can I convert the denominator into a solvable numerator considering that the cos^2x is linked with b^2. Even if I take the U substitution route by considering u=tanx how do i deal with b^2cos^2x. How about I use the trig identity tan(x/2)/1+tan^2x/2=sinx and cosx= 1-tan^x/2/1+tan^x/2 then consider u=tanx/2 then we have it's derivative 1(1+tan^2x/2)/2=sec^2x/2/2

vela said:
You can rewrite the denominator as ##\cos^2 x\ (a^2 \tan^2 x + b^2)##. This suggests the substitution u = tan x. Try that.

Or try rational trig substitutions. http://www.sosmath.com/calculus/integration/raextrig/raextrig.html

Or ##b^2\cos^2(x)(\frac {a^2}{b^2}\tan^2x + 1)## and let ##u = \frac a b \tan x##. Guaranteed.

1. What is the purpose of solving this integral?

The purpose of solving this integral is to find the antiderivative of the given function, which will allow us to evaluate the area under the curve between two specified limits.

2. What are the main equations needed to solve this integral?

The main equations needed to solve this integral are the trigonometric identities for sine and cosine, as well as the power rule for integration. These include:

• sin^2x + cos^2x = 1
  • ∫ sin^2x dx = (1/2)(x - sinx cosx) + C
  • ∫ cos^2x dx = (1/2)(x + sinx cosx) + C

3. What is the general approach to solving this type of integral?

The general approach to solving this type of integral is to first simplify the integrand using the trigonometric identities, and then apply the power rule for integration. This may involve using trigonometric substitutions or integration by parts in some cases.

4. Can this integral be solved using any other methods?

Yes, this integral can also be solved using other methods such as the substitution method or the use of trigonometric identities. The choice of method may depend on the complexity of the integrand and personal preference.

5. Are there any specific tips or tricks to solving this integral?

One helpful tip is to look for patterns in the integrand and use appropriate trigonometric identities to simplify it. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and include them in the final answer. Practice and familiarity with various integration techniques can also make solving this integral easier.