Integrate x-1/x^2-2x-3 | Help Needed

• Thread starter luigihs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: Thanks! sorry and for this one ∫x-3 / x^2+2x-3 .. i think can't do the same as the previous one because would be bottom 2x + 2 but in the top is x - 3 so is a bit impossible to do the previous method. but can i do by partial fractions (x+3) (x-1)
luigihs
Hello I am trying to integrate this problem:
∫x-1/x^2-2x-3

My attempt solution is differ x^2 - 2x + 4 = 2x - 2 and basically the top x-1 can be manipulate by multiplying 2 this would give me the answer as 2 ln|x^2-2x+4| + c I am not sure I am right can somebody help me out? thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are almost correct. This is where you went wrong, you should recognize this as a simple u-substitution. So you would set u=x^2-2x-3 and du=2x-2 dx. And you were correct in recognizing that it only differs the numerator by a constant, but what you would want to do is now divide du=2x-2 by 2. This gives (1/2)du=x-1dx. Now you can make the substitution. And you get ##(1/2)[integral]du/u= (1/2)ln(u)+c## then just plug back in for u and there's your answer.

Just try to physically write down the u substitution and everything that follows and you won't lose coefficients like that.

thanks ! sorry and for this one ∫x-3 / x^2+2x-3 .. i think can't do the same as the previous one because would be bottom 2x + 2 but in the top is x - 3 so is a bit impossible to do the previous method. but can i do by partial fractions (x+3) (x-1)

luigihs said:
thanks ! sorry and for this one ∫x-3 / x^2+2x-3 .. i think can't do the same as the previous one because would be bottom 2x + 2 but in the top is x - 3 so is a bit impossible to do the previous method. but can i do by partial fractions (x+3) (x-1)

You should have no trouble computing
[tex] \int \left( x - \frac{3}{x^2} + 2x - 3 \right) \, dx[/tex]
which is what you wrote. If you meant something else, you must use parentheses.

luigihs said:

This one is the two parts, the first part will be the exact same as the previous integral. The next part will be just as easy. How can you break this into two integrals one of which is exactly the same as the previous problem?

1. What is the meaning of "Integrate x-1/x^2-2x-3"?

Integrating x-1/x^2-2x-3 means finding the antiderivative of the given expression. It is a mathematical operation that is the reverse of differentiation and is used to find the original function from its derivative.

2. How do I integrate x-1/x^2-2x-3?

To integrate x-1/x^2-2x-3, you can use the method of partial fractions or integration by substitution. Both methods involve breaking down the given expression into simpler fractions and then integrating each term separately.

3. Can I use a calculator to integrate x-1/x^2-2x-3?

Yes, you can use a calculator to integrate x-1/x^2-2x-3. Many scientific calculators have an integration function that can solve integrals. You can also use online integration calculators or software programs like Wolfram Alpha.

4. What is the final answer to the integration of x-1/x^2-2x-3?

The final answer will depend on the method used for integration and the limits of integration, if any. It is essential to check the answer using differentiation to ensure its correctness.

5. What is the significance of integrating x-1/x^2-2x-3?

Integrating x-1/x^2-2x-3 has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it can be used to find the area under a curve, calculate the work done by a force, or determine the velocity of an object from its acceleration.