1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration problem

1. May 8, 2005 #1
    Problem:

(a) If [tex]f[/tex] is one-to-one and [tex]f^{\prime}[/tex] is continuous, prove that

[tex]\int _a ^b f(x) \: dx = bf(b) - af(a) - \int _{f(a)} ^{f(b)} f ^{-1} (y) \: dy[/tex]

(b) In the case where [tex]f[/tex] is a positive function and [tex]b > a > 0[/tex], draw a diagram to give a geometric interpretation of part (a).

My work:

(a) [tex]\int _a ^b f(x) \: dx[/tex]

Integrating by parts gives

[tex]u = f(x) \Rightarrow \frac{du}{dx} = f ^{\prime} (x) \Rightarrow du = f ^{\prime} (x) \: dx[/tex]
    [tex]dv = dx \Rightarrow v = x[/tex]

[tex]\int _a ^b f(x) \: dx = \left. xf(x) \right] _a ^b - \int _a ^b x f ^{\prime} (x) \: dx[/tex]
    [tex]\int _a ^b f(x) \: dx = bf(b) - af(a) - \int _a ^b x f ^{\prime} (x) \: dx[/tex]

Applying the Substitution Rule gives

[tex] y = f(x) \Leftrightarrow x = f^{-1} (y) \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = f ^{\prime} (x) \Rightarrow dx = \frac{dy}{f ^{\prime} (x)}[/tex]

[tex]y(b) = f(b)[/tex]
    [tex]y(a) = f(a)[/tex]

[tex]\int _a ^b f(x) \: dx = bf(b) - af(a) - \int _{f(a)} ^{f(b)} f ^{-1} (y) \: dy[/tex]

(b) I'm not sure how I should handle this one. The left-hand side is quite easy to visualize: it corresponds to a generic integral from a to b. The right-hand side does not seem to be that simple, and I need some help.

Any help is highly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1) Draw orthogonal x-and y-axes on a piece of paper
    2) Mark the interval [a,b] on the x-axis, and draw f(x) over it, so that it ranges between f(a) and f(b); mark f(a) and f(b) on the y-axis.
    3) What rectangle can you naturally construct whose area is a*f(a)?
    4) What rectangle can you naturally construct whose area is b*f(b)?
    5) Look and behold, and see if you find an easy geometric interpretation of the equality..

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  4. May 8, 2005 #3

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know Thiago, I don't claim to know much math, no more than 1% in fact, so I'm not surprised your relation is news for me and I'm sure you will follow Arildno so I don't think I'm giving anything away by posting the attached plot for the function [itex]y(x)=0.2 x^2 [/itex] from 2 to 4.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  5. May 8, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I met this relation in my first analysis course, and it was, to me, one of those "Wow, math is really cool!"-experiences..

6. May 8, 2005 #5
    Thank you guys! I can now see what you're talking about. It's pretty straight-forward. I was a bit confused by a "big fat" generic equation. :)

7. May 8, 2005 #6

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just want to correct my statement above: The function [itex]y(x)=0.2x^2[/itex] is NOT one-to-one and only because it's so in the first quadrant would it qualify for the relation above with a and b in the same quadrant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?