Solve Integration Problem: Exam in 2 Hrs - Help!

• Thread starter UNIQNESS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about a problem in mathematics involving integration and a change of variables. The first line is explained as simply evaluating the x integral and putting in the x limits. The second line involves using the properties of cosh and sinh and making a change of variables. The conversation also includes a request for step-by-step explanation and a mention of an upcoming exam.
UNIQNESS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/uniqness/math.jpg

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how the last two steps were taken to obtain the answer. I actually have an exam in couple hours and I would really appreciate if someone could explain carefully as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the first line, the x integration is being done first. The whole square root bit is a function of z and not x, so you just treat it like a constant. So, when you do the x integral, all you get is

[tex]x\sqrt{17 + 4z^2}[/tex]

Next you have to put in the x limits: 0-1. Clearly, putting in x = 0 will give you nothing and putting in x = 1 gives you

[tex]\sqrt{17 + 4z^2}[/tex]

This leaves you with the z integral at the end of the first line.

As for the second line, I'm a bit stuck right now :/.

Last edited:
lol thanks for the reply but the second line is what I'm having a problem with..

The logarithmic expression is nothing else than the cosh or sinh inverse 8don't remember which)
In order to crack the integral, remember that [tex]Cosh^{2}y=1+Sinh^{2}y[/tex]
Hence, make the change of varibles: [tex]z=a*Sinh(y)[/tex], where "a" is a constant to be fitted in the nicest manner possible.

I still don't understand how the first line became the second line.. Also, how would i use the expression Cosh^2y = 1 + Sinh^2y there? I'd really appreciate if you could tell me step by step.. I just need to know how the first line became the second line.. This is not a homework problem as you can tell the answer is already there.. I'm just studying for a test.

I know it's very early but is there anyone who can help me?

OK, let's rewrite the integral in the first line as:
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\sqrt{17+4z^{2}}dz=\sqrt{17}\int_{0}^{1}\sqrt{1+(\frac{2z}{\sqrt{17}})^{2}}dz[/tex]
Thus, the change of variables [tex]\frac{2z}{\sqrt{17}}=Sinh(y)[/tex] is rather natural..

Thank you for the help.. I guess I just don't remember the properties of sinh & cosh.. I thought there was an easier way to do it because I never used cosh or sinh to solve an integral.. I guess I will get this problem wrong if it comes out on the test.. Thanks though.

my math exam is over so i don't need to know how to solve it any more but can anybody solve this thing step by step? when i usually post a problem, many people respond, but it seems like not many people know how to solve this..

Well, you now have [tex]z=\frac{\sqrt{17}}{2}Sinh(y)[/tex], which implies that:
[tex]dz=\frac{\sqrt{17}}{2}Cosh(y)dy[/tex]
Along with the new limits [tex]0\leq{y}\leq{Sinh}^{-1}(\frac{2}{\sqrt{17}})[/tex]
Therefore, we get:
[tex]\sqrt{17}\int_{0}^{1}\sqrt{1+(\frac{2z}{17})^{2}}dz=\frac{17}{2}\int_{0}^{{Sinh}^{-1}(\frac{2}{\sqrt{17}})}Cosh^{2}ydy[/tex]

All right?

C'mon- in the very first post, Nylex told you how to go from the first line to the second- how the integration was done- and you replied "lol thanks for the reply but the second line is what I'm having a problem with..".
When it was pointed out that the second line was just a matter of evaluating functions you said "I still don't understand how the first line became the second line..", so we're back to what was said in the first post!

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over an interval. It is the reverse process of differentiation, which finds the rate of change of a quantity.

2. How do I solve an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you need to first identify the function or expression that needs to be integrated. Then, use integration rules and techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to find the antiderivative. Finally, evaluate the antiderivative at the given limits to find the solution.

3. How can I prepare for an integration problem on an exam?

To prepare for an integration problem on an exam, it is important to review and understand the integration rules and techniques. Practice solving different types of integration problems and make sure you are familiar with the common functions and their antiderivatives. It is also helpful to time yourself while solving practice problems to simulate an exam setting.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on an integration problem?

If you are stuck on an integration problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and applying different integration techniques. You can also consult your textbook or notes for examples and explanations. If you are still struggling, don't hesitate to ask your instructor or a classmate for help.

5. Is it possible to solve an integration problem in 2 hours?

The time it takes to solve an integration problem can vary depending on its complexity and the individual's level of understanding. However, with practice and a good understanding of integration techniques, it is possible to solve an integration problem within 2 hours. It is important to manage your time effectively and not spend too much time on one problem. If you are struggling, it is best to move on and come back to the problem later.