Volume Calculation of Y=(x+2)^(1/2) & Y=(2-x)(2+x)

In summary, for the first part, you would calculate the volume using pi times the integral of (x+2) dx with the boundaries of -1 and 1. For the second part, you would find the intersections of the functions by solving for y=x^2-4 and y=x^2+9.
Sombra
if I want to find the volume of y= (x + 2) ^(1/2) about the x-axis with the boundaries of -1 and 1, then would it be :

V = pi times integral of (x+2) dx?? Its confusing trying to set it up. The volume of a section would be v = pi r^2 (delta x)

Also I'm having trouble finding the volume of the region enclosed by y = (2-x)(2+x), y = 3x, and the y- axis when rotated around the x - axis. It's hard to even picture what the figure will be like, much harder to find the volume. Please point me in the right direction! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sombra said:
if I want to find the volume of y= (x + 2) ^(1/2) about the x-axis with the boundaries of -1 and 1, then would it be :

V = pi times integral of (x+2) dx?? Its confusing trying to set it up. The volume of a section would be v = pi r^2 (delta x)

Also I'm having trouble finding the volume of the region enclosed by y = (2-x)(2+x), y = 3x, and the y- axis when rotated around the x - axis. It's hard to even picture what the figure will be like, much harder to find the volume. Please point me in the right direction! Thanks!

You seem to have the first part, but don't forget the limits of integration.
[tex]\pi\int_{-1}^{1}(x+2) dx[/tex]

For the second part, one thing that jumped out at me was:
[tex]y=(2-x)(2+x)=2^2-x^2=4-x^2[/tex]
is a parabola that opens downward, so it will hit the line
[tex]y=3x[/tex] in two (or zero) places.

So, let's look for intersections by solving:
Subtract
[tex]y=3x[/tex]
from
[tex]y=x^2-4[/tex]
to get
[tex]0=x^2-3x-4[/tex]
so we can use the quadratic formula
[tex]x=\frac{3\pm\sqrt{9-4(1)(-4)}}{2}=\frac{3 \pm 5}{2}[/tex]

That tells us that the functions intersect where [itex]x=-1[/itex] and where [itex]x=4[/itex]. Those will be the limits of integration. A quick check, say at [itex]x=0[/itex] confirms that [itex]4-x^2 > 3x[/itex] in the region.

So, to calculate the volume, you can (equivalently) calculate the volume from [tex]y=4-x^2[/tex]
on and then subtract the volume from
[tex]y=3x[/tex]
on the region.
Or you can integrate using annuli (annuluses?) instead of disks.

So, for the first one, the answer would be 4pi, correct?

For the second one, I thought the 2 functions interesected at (1,3), so I said the volume was pi times integral (with boundaries of 0 and 1) of [(4-x^2) -(3x)] dx since it has to be subracted. But I think I need to find the integral of r^2 times delta x, so would i have to square (4-x^2) and make it (16-x^4) then subtract 3x (or would it be 9x^2)? Thanks

1. How do you calculate the volume of Y = (x+2)^(1/2)?

The volume of a three-dimensional shape is typically calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height. In this case, since the equation only includes one variable (x), we can assume that the length and width are equal to x. The height can be calculated by plugging in various values of x into the equation and solving for y. Once you have the values for x and y, you can then multiply them to get the volume.

2. What is the formula for finding the volume of Y = (2-x)(2+x)?

The formula for finding the volume of a rectangular prism is length x width x height. In this equation, we can see that the length and width are equal to 2, since they are outside of the parentheses. The height can be calculated by subtracting x from 2 and then multiplying it by 2. So the formula would be: (2)(2)(2-x).

3. What is the relationship between the two equations?

The two equations have a similar structure, as both involve finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape. However, the first equation involves finding the volume of a shape with a square root, while the second equation involves finding the volume of a rectangular prism. Additionally, the first equation has a variable (x) in the exponent, while the second equation has a variable (x) in the base.

4. Can these equations be used to find the volume of real-life objects?

Yes, these equations can be used to find the volume of real-life objects, as long as they have a similar shape to the equations. For example, the first equation could be used to find the volume of a cone or a pyramid, while the second equation could be used to find the volume of a rectangular box or a building.

5. How can these volume calculations be applied in scientific research?

Volume calculations are important in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. In chemistry, volume calculations are used to determine the amount of a substance needed for an experiment or to calculate the concentration of a solution. In physics and engineering, volume calculations are used to design and build structures and machines, as well as to understand the properties of materials. These equations can also be used in research studies to analyze and compare the volumes of different objects or substances.