1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration proof

1. Dec 25, 2007 #1
    Notation: I = integral sign from 0 to 1, D= partial derivative symbol.

Please help me prove that for any smooth function f:R^n -> R defined on a neighbourhood of a in R^n,

f(x) = f(a) + I{(D/Dt)f(a+t(x-a))dt}

Here's my attempt:
    (D/Dt)f(a+t(x-a))dt = d[f(a+t(x-a)] (justification needed?)
    so

I [(D/Dt)f(a+t(x-a))dt] = I d[f(a+t(x-a)]
    = f(a+1(x-a)) - f(a+0(x-a)) (Fundamental theorem of calculus, right?)
    = f(x)-f(a).

Am I right, or am I making many unjustified steps here?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Looks fine to me.

After all, set [tex]y=a+t(x-a),t=1\to{y}=x,t=0\to{y}=a,\frac{dy}{dt}=(x-a)[/tex]
    Thereby, your integral is readily converted to:
    [tex]I=f(a)+\int_{a}^{x}f'(y)dy=f(x)[/tex]

4. Dec 25, 2007 #3
    Thanks arildno. But there is one major confusion here. Your dy/dt is supposed to have the partial derivative symbols, right? Because y is a function of x=(x_1,...,x_n) and t, i.e. a function of n+1 variables and not just a function of t alone.

Also, y= a + t(x-a) is a function that has n components, because x and a are elements of R^n. So what exactly is the meaning of f'(y)dy when your y is not a real number but a variable in R^n???

5. Dec 25, 2007 #4
    The only thing I can make out of your f'(y) is a Jacobian matrix, in which case the antiderivative cannot be defined.

6. Dec 25, 2007 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You can regard "a" and "x" as arbitrary constants.

7. Dec 26, 2007 #6
    Ok, I think I'm onto something. Please tell me if my explanation below is correct. Remember, I'm using D for the partial derivative symbol.

Let’s first understand what (D/Dt)f(a+t(x-a)) means: Since x belongs to R^n, then f is a function of the n variables x=(x_1,...,x_n). Now with the introduction of the new independent variable t (which is totally independent of x and vice versa), the expression
    f(a+t(x-a)) is now a function of n+1 variables, and hence the partial derivative symbol D/Dt.

Having said that, f(a+t(x-a)) also appears as the integrand in I{(D/Dt)f(a+t(x-a))dt} (I'm using I as the integral symbol from 0 to 1), and here we are integrating with respect to t only. Thus we are treating x as a constant within the expression f(a+t(x-a)) during the process of integration, since the integration is with respect to t only (if it was a double integral where we are also integrating with respect to x, then x is certainly no longer treated as a constant). Thus (within the integral only) we can write (D/Dt)f(a+t(x-a) as (d/dt)f(a+t(x-a)) , whereby we get

I{(D/Dt)f(a+t(x-a))dt} = I{(d/dt)f(a+t(x-a))dt} = I{d[f(a+t(x-a))]},

which is the formal justification of the first line in my original solution. Am I right?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?