Solving Integral Tests and Constructing Continuous Monotone Functions

In summary: The key here is the fact that h(x) is not differentiable at irrational points. Maybe we can use this to create a function that is continuous but not differentiable on a dense subset of R.
kathrynag
Integration
1.Let f be integrable on [a; b] for every b > a; where a is fixed. Define

integralf(x)dx(bonds on integral(a,infinity) = limb-->infinity(integralf(x)dx)(bounds a,b);

provided the limit exists.

Prove the so called integral test: if f(x) >= 0 and if f decreases monotonically for x >=1, then integral f(x)dx(bounds 1,infinity) converges (to a finite number) if and only if sum(f(n)converges.

2. Let f and g be integrable functions on [a; b]: Prove

|integral(f*gdx)|^2<=integralf^2dx*integra1g^2dx

3.Assume f is integrable on [a,b] and has a jump discontinuity at c in (a,b). This means that both one sided limits exists as x approaches c from the left and right, but that they are not equal.Show that F(x)=integral(f)(bounds a,x) is not differentiable at x=c.

4. The existence of a continuous monotone function that fails to be differentiable on a dense subset of R is what this problem concerns. Show how to construct such a function using the result of the previous problem and the fact that h(x) is a monotone function defined on all of R that is continuous at every irrational point where:

h(x)=sum(u_n(x)) u_n(x)=1/2^n for x>r_n and 0 for x<=r_n

where r_n are the rational numbers

Here are my ideas so far:
1. I feel like the monotonically decreasing part will help.

2. For 2, I considered the quadratic polynomial in the variable t defined by P(t) =integral(f + tg)^2. I squared this all out which worked out fine and I feel like this will help me, but I don't know what to with the t's.

3. I feel like the answer comes from the fact that the limits are not equal and I use that somehow.

4. Since I haven't figured out 3, have no clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
kathrynag said:
Integration
1.Let f be integrable on [a; b] for every b > a; where a is fixed. Define

[tex]\int_a^{\infty} f(x) dx = \lim_{b\to\infty} \int_a^b f(x) dx[/tex]

provided the limit exists.

Prove the so called integral test: if f(x) >= 0 and if f decreases monotonically for x >=1, then [tex]\int_1^{\infty} f(x) dx[/tex] converges (to a finite number) if and only if [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty f(n)[/tex] converges.

2. Let f and g be integrable functions on [a; b]: Prove

[tex]\left|\int f*g dx\right|^2 \leq \left(\int f^2 dx\right) \left(\int g^2 dx\right)[/tex]

3.Assume f is integrable on [a,b] and has a jump discontinuity at c in (a,b). This means that both one sided limits exists as x approaches c from the left and right, but that they are not equal.Show that [tex]F(x)=\int_a^x f(\xi) d\xi[/tex] is not differentiable at x=c.

4. The existence of a continuous monotone function that fails to be differentiable on a dense subset of R is what this problem concerns. Show how to construct such a function using the result of the previous problem and the fact that h(x) is a monotone function defined on all of R that is continuous at every irrational point where:

[tex]h(x) = \sum u_n(x), \\ u_n(x) = \frac{1}{2^n} \\ for \\ x>r_n \\ and \\ 0 \\ for \\ x\leq r_n[/tex]

where r_n are the rational numbers
Here are my ideas so far:
1. I feel like the monotonically decreasing part will help.

2. For 2, I considered the quadratic polynomial in the variable t defined by P(t) =integral(f + tg)^2. I squared this all out which worked out fine and I feel like this will help me, but I don't know what to with the t's.

3. I feel like the answer comes from the fact that the limits are not equal and I use that somehow.

4. Since I haven't figured out 3, have no clue.

I added in some latex. Feel free to tell me if I interpreted it correct.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! I was posting from my Ipod so I couldn't get the Tex.

For 2. I looked at integral(f+tg)^2
integral(f^2+2tgf+t^2g^2).

Ok, think I have a good start on 1 and 2 now. Are there any hints on starting 3 and 4?

3. We have [tex]lim_{c^{-}}[/tex][tex]\neq[/tex][tex]lim_{c^{+}}[/tex].
Would I maybe use upper and lower sums to show not integrable?

1. What is an integral test?

An integral test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series by comparing it to a related improper integral. It is based on the idea that if the integral converges, then the series must also converge and vice versa.

2. How is an integral test used to solve series?

To use an integral test to solve a series, we first need to find a related improper integral. This is done by setting up the series as a function and integrating it from the starting value to infinity. Then, we compare the result of the integral to known convergence or divergence tests to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

3. What is a continuous monotone function?

A continuous monotone function is a function that is both continuous and monotone. This means that it has no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph and that it either always increases or always decreases as the input increases.

4. How do you construct a continuous monotone function?

To construct a continuous monotone function, we can use the Intermediate Value Theorem and the Mean Value Theorem. This involves choosing appropriate values for the function at certain points and then connecting them with straight lines or curves that satisfy the conditions of the theorems.

5. Why is it important to be able to construct continuous monotone functions?

Continuous monotone functions are important because they can be used to model and approximate real-world phenomena. They also have many important applications in calculus, such as in finding maximum and minimum values of functions and solving optimization problems.