1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration question, please help!

1. Aug 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the following integral:

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi }{4}}ln(1+tanx)dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to split is into ln(1) times ln(tanx) but didnt work.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2012 #2
    Because you can't split it up like that perhaps?

Use this identity of integrals: Substituting x=a-t, dx=-dt:

[tex]\int_{0}^{a}f(a-t)\,dt=-\int_{a}^{0}f(x)\,dx=\int_{0}^{a}f(x)\,dx[/tex]

4. Aug 8, 2012 #3
    can u please show me how to do it, i tried it this way but i messed it up.

5. Aug 8, 2012 #4
    That is a pretty difficult integral. If you really wrote it down correctly, the best approach is likely to evaluate it numerically.

6. Aug 8, 2012 #5
    I'll give you a headstart, but you should solve it yourself.
    Applying the result I gave above to your problem, we get that your integral is equal to
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\pi/4}\log(1+\tan(\pi/4-x))dx[/tex]
    Now, note that [itex]\displaystyle \tan(x)=\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}[/itex] so that
    [tex]\tan(\pi/4-x)=\frac{\sin(\pi/4-x)}{\cos(\pi/4-x)}=\frac{\sin(\pi/4)\cos(x)-\cos(\pi/4)\sin(x)}{\cos(\pi/4)\cos(x)+\sin(\pi/4)\sin(x)}=\frac{\cos(x)-\sin(x)}{\cos(x)+\sin(x)}[/tex]
    This is easily seen to be equal to
    [tex]\frac{1-\tan(x)}{1+\tan(x)}[/tex]
    Now, please take it from there.

7. Aug 8, 2012 #6
    The indefinite integral is in terms of the logarithmic integral function but the definite integral has a solution.

8. Aug 8, 2012 #7
    Thank u a lot.

great forum.

9. Aug 8, 2012 #8
    What does that mean? Do you have the answer??

10. Aug 8, 2012 #9
    I don't have the answer but thanks to u, i solved it, the answer is pi/4 ln(2)

11. Aug 8, 2012 #10
    guys, im learning harder integration so can any one give me an example of an extremely difficult integral?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  12. Aug 8, 2012 #11
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(x)\,dx}{1+x^2}[/tex]
    Good luck!

13. Aug 8, 2012 #12
    wow thats a hard one
    do you have so really big, difficult and intimidating integrals that looks almost impossible to solve

14. Aug 8, 2012 #13
    Discussion here is not really appropriate, I shall send some to you via PM.

15. Aug 8, 2012 #14
    thank you
    im new here so excuse me please :)

16. Aug 9, 2012 #15

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is it? You might want to sketch the integrand and see if your result is reasonable for the area under the curve ;0).

17. Aug 10, 2012 #16
    Your really close, you probably made a simple arithmetic mistake in your work. The graph of that is very close to a triangle and the area you found wouldn't fit in the bounds of a triangle. That was fun integral though!

18. Aug 10, 2012 #17

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wrong. If we let [itex] J = \int_0^{\pi/4} \, \ln(1 + \tan(x))\, dx,[/itex] your claim is that [itex]J = \pi/4\ln(2).[/itex] If you mean [itex]J = (\pi/4) \ln(2) \doteq 0.5443965,[/itex] that is wrong. If you mean [itex] J = \pi/(4 \ln(2)) \doteq 1.1330900,[/itex] that is also wrong. The correct answer is
    [tex] J = \frac{i}{2}\text{dilog}\left(\frac{1+i}{2}\right) - \frac{i}{2}\text{dilog}\left(\frac{1-i}{2}\right) + \frac{\pi \ln(2)}{4} - C,[/tex]
    where C is Catalan's constant
    [tex] C = \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^i}{(2i+1)^2} [/tex]
    and
    [tex] \text{dilog}(w) = \int_1^w \frac{\ln(t)}{1-t} \, dt[/tex]
    and [itex]i = \sqrt{-1}.[/itex] The numerical value of the correct answer is
    [itex]J \doteq 0.27219826.[/itex] (All this courtesy of Maple11).

RGV

19. Aug 10, 2012 #18
    J≐0.27219826 looks like [tex] \frac{\pi}{8}\ln{2}[/tex] which is why I think it likely he made a simple arithmetic mistake.

20. Aug 10, 2012 #19
    He probably made the same mistake I did when I worked it out and got the same answer as him :blushing: but I did eventually get[tex]\frac{\pi}{8}\ln2[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook