Calculate Integral of cos ax/sinh bx from 0 to infinity | Integration Question

In summary, it seems that the integral of cos(ax)/sinh(bx) between 0 and infinity diverges. This is based on the analysis of differentiating under the integral sign using Leibniz's rule and checking the antiderivative. It would have been more interesting to find the antiderivative of cos(ax)/cosh(bx) instead.
Nima
Given Integral (Between 0 and infinity) sin ax/sinh bx = (pi/2b).tanh[(api)/(2b)]. Calculate:

Integral (Between 0 and infinity) cos ax/sinh bx dx.

Any ideas? Cheers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do u know leibnitz rule of differentiation under integral sign?

-- AI

Jesus. That one neither and I spent some time on it too. Thanks.

Nima, can you report the answer please. Try and use LaTeX (look at the on-line reference for it in the group). Here, I'll start it for you, just select "quote" and add on:

[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{\cos(ax)}{\sinh(bx)}=[/tex]

Last edited:
If you differentiate wrt "a" under the integral sign,i'd like to know how one gets read o the nasty "x" that will appear in the numerator...:confused:

Daniel.

made mistake with formula

saltydog said:
Jesus. That one neither and I spent some time on it too. Thanks.

Nima, can you report the answer please. Try and use LaTeX (look at the on-line reference for it in the group). Here, I'll start it for you, just select "quote" and add on:

[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{\cos(ax)}{\sinh(bx)}=[/tex]

Nima, where you at? I aint' letting this one go. Just differentiate it throughout using Leibniz's rule (and no I didnt' know to do this until they told me). Granted, you have to take the derivative of infinity but just think of the upper limit as a constant 'c' and at the limit as c goes to infinity, it's derivative is still zero. Else, I'll write it up tomorrow.

This is Leibnitz's rule. Just fill in the blanks.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}G(x,t)dt=G(x,\beta(x))\frac{d\beta}{dx}-G(x,\alpha(x))\frac{d\alpha}{dx}+\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}\frac{\partial G}{\partial x}dt[/tex]

Salty

Edit: I made a mistake with the formula and corrected it. Now I understand what Daniel meant about the 'x' in the numerator. Will need to regroup . . .

Sorry if I caused problems for anyone.

Last edited:
salty,
F(a) = some integral with respect to 'x' containing parameter 'a'
F'(a) = some integral with respect to 'x' containing parameter 'a'

Can u see what i am pointing at?
My mention of Leibnitz's rule of differentiation was just to indicate that u can differentiate under integral sign, as such u don't explicitly need that formula for this problem :)

-- AI

TenaliRaman said:
salty,

My mention of Leibnitz's rule of differentiation was just to indicate that u can differentiate under integral sign, as such u don't explicitly need that formula for this problem :)

-- AI

Alright, I'm stuck. I used Leibnitz rule incorrectly above. Next time I'll double-check things before I say anything Nima. Sorry. Gonna work on it some more and check it with real data before I post anything.

TenaliRaman said:
salty,

-- AI

Seems to me, after looking at it some more, that the cos integral diverges but I don't want to cause more confussion for Nima or anyone else. Would still like to find the antiderivative to prove explicitly that it does. Am I correct in this analysis?

I mean, it would have been a more interesting question if we needed to find out what [itex]\frac{\cos(ax)}{\cosh(bx)}[/itex] was. That's just me though.

Last edited:

1. What is integration and why is it important in science?

Integration is the process of combining different elements or components into a whole. In science, it is important because it allows us to understand complex systems and relationships between different variables. It also helps us to make connections between different fields of study and apply knowledge from one area to another.

2. How do scientists integrate different data sets or information?

Scientists use a variety of methods to integrate data sets or information. This can include statistical analysis, computer modeling, and visualizations. They also use their knowledge and expertise to make connections and draw conclusions from the data.

3. What are the benefits of integrating multiple disciplines in scientific research?

Integrating multiple disciplines in scientific research can lead to a more comprehensive understanding of complex phenomena. It can also lead to new insights and discoveries that may not have been possible by studying each discipline separately. Additionally, it can promote collaboration and help break down disciplinary boundaries.

4. How does integration contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge?

Integration plays a crucial role in the advancement of scientific knowledge by allowing us to make connections and see patterns that may not have been apparent before. It also helps us to build on existing knowledge and make new discoveries by incorporating multiple perspectives and approaches.

5. What are some challenges associated with integrating different fields of study in science?

Some challenges of integrating different fields of study in science include communication barriers between disciplines, conflicting theories or methodologies, and the complexity of integrating large amounts of data. It also requires a diverse range of expertise and can be time-consuming and resource-intensive.