1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Question - Please Help

1. Feb 17, 2005 #1
    Given Integral (Between 0 and infinity) sin ax/sinh bx = (pi/2b).tanh[(api)/(2b)]. Calculate:

Integral (Between 0 and infinity) cos ax/sinh bx dx.

Any ideas? Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2005 #2
    Do u know leibnitz rule of differentiation under integral sign?

-- AI

4. Feb 18, 2005 #3

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Jesus. That one neither and I spent some time on it too. Thanks.

Nima, can you report the answer please. Try and use LaTeX (look at the on-line reference for it in the group). Here, I'll start it for you, just select "quote" and add on:

[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{\cos(ax)}{\sinh(bx)}=[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  5. Feb 18, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you differentiate wrt "a" under the integral sign,i'd like to know how one gets read o the nasty "x" that will appear in the numerator...:confused:

Daniel.

6. Feb 18, 2005 #5

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

made mistake with formula

Nima, where you at? I aint' letting this one go. Just differentiate it throughout using Leibniz's rule (and no I didnt' know to do this until they told me). Granted, you have to take the derivative of infinity but just think of the upper limit as a constant 'c' and at the limit as c goes to infinity, it's derivative is still zero. Else, I'll write it up tomorrow.

This is Leibnitz's rule. Just fill in the blanks.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}G(x,t)dt=G(x,\beta(x))\frac{d\beta}{dx}-G(x,\alpha(x))\frac{d\alpha}{dx}+\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}\frac{\partial G}{\partial x}dt[/tex]

Salty

Edit: I made a mistake with the formula and corrected it. Now I understand what Daniel meant about the 'x' in the numerator. Will need to regroup . . .

Sorry if I caused problems for anyone.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  7. Feb 19, 2005 #6
    salty,
    F(a) = some integral with respect to 'x' containing parameter 'a'
    F'(a) = some integral with respect to 'x' containing parameter 'a'

Can u see what i am pointing at?
    My mention of Leibnitz's rule of differentiation was just to indicate that u can differentiate under integral sign, as such u dont explicitly need that formula for this problem :)

-- AI

8. Feb 19, 2005 #7

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alright, I'm stuck. I used Leibnitz rule incorrectly above. Next time I'll double-check things before I say anything Nima. Sorry. Gonna work on it some more and check it with real data before I post anything.

9. Feb 19, 2005 #8

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seems to me, after looking at it some more, that the cos integral diverges but I don't want to cause more confussion for Nima or anyone else. Would still like to find the antiderivative to prove explicitly that it does. Am I correct in this analysis?

I mean, it would have been a more interesting question if we needed to find out what [itex]\frac{\cos(ax)}{\cosh(bx)}[/itex] was. That's just me though.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?