1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration question

1. May 12, 2006 #1
    I'm trying to follow a derivation in a book on marine acoustics for finding the amplitude along a sound ray, as a function of the arc length, s, of the ray.

The book gives the following equation:

2\frac{dA_0}{ds}+ \left[ \frac{c}{J}\frac{d}{ds}\left(\frac{J}{c}\right) \right]A_0 = 0

The book then says that by integrating the above equation, we get:

A_0(s)= A_0(0)\left| \frac{c(s)J(0)}{c(0)J(s)} \right|^{1/2}

The book doesn't give any intermediate steps, and I'm not really sure how the integration is actually done. I gather that the limits are from 0 to s, but I don't know how you deal with something like this where J, c and A_0 all seem to depend on s.

In these equations, c is the sound speed at a given arc length s along the ray, and J is the Jacobian determinant, given as:

J = r\left[\frac{dr}{ds}\frac{dz}{d\theta} - \frac{dz}{ds}\frac{dr}{d\theta}\right]

or alternatively:

J = r\left[\left(\frac{dz}{d\theta}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{dr}{d\theta}\right)^2\right]^{1/2}

So...can anyone explain to me the steps involved in going from the first equation to the second? Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited: May 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2006 #2

You can get it in the form...

where [tex]C(s)=1/c(s)[/tex]
  4. May 12, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

As a follow up to J77's excellent hint, think of chain rule (this is like reversing chain rule).
  5. May 12, 2006 #4
    Aah, thanks guys! I see what's happening now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?