• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Integration Question

• Thread starter Pyroadept
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Q. Solve ∫ (5x^2 - 42x + 24)/(x^3 - 10x^2 + 12x + 72) dx

Homework Equations

∫ x^n dx = ∫ (1/n+1)x^(n+1) + C
∫ 1/x dx = ln x + C

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi everyone,

Here's what I've done so far:

(i) I factored the bottom equation into (x + 2)(x - 6)^2

and then separated the fraction 1/[(x + 2)(x - 6)^2] into a sum of three fractions of the form:
A/(x + 2) + B/(x - 6) + C/[ (x-6)^2 ]

and found that A = 1/64, B = -1/64, C = 1/8

(ii) The only way I can see to go from here is to split the top integral into three integrals:

(1/64) ∫ (5x^2 - 42x + 24)/(x + 2) dx + (-1/64) ∫ (5x^2 - 42x + 24)/(x - 6) dx + (1/8) ∫ (5x^2 - 42x + 24)/(x-6)^2 dx

and solve them all individually using substitution, letting u = x+2, x-6 and x-6 respectively.

The answer I get in this way is: (5/8)x - 21/4 +2ln(x+2) + 3ln(x-6) + 6/(x-6) + C, C = constant of integration,

which is incorrect, according to the WebWork site, but I can't find any algebraic errors.
So, I'm thinking perhaps what I do in step (ii) is not the best way to do it.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You don't want to do it that way. You want to split (5x^2 - 42x + 24)/((x+2)*(x-6)^2) into three fractions of the form A/(x + 2) + B/(x - 6) + C/[ (x-6)^2 ] with A, B and C constant.

Last edited:
Cyosis
Homework Helper
You have split your fractions correctly. However splitting [itex]1/((x-6)^2(x+2))[/itex] instead of the entire integrand, like Dick suggests, results in you having to integrate three integrals which are very sensitive to mistakes. I checked the expression you wrote down in (ii) in mathematica and it does give you the correct answer so you must have made a mistake integrating somewhere. However I suggest you do it Dick's way, it gives easy values for A, B and C (integers) and results in three very easy integrals.

Last edited: