1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Question

1. May 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Q. Solve ∫ (5x^2 - 42x + 24)/(x^3 - 10x^2 + 12x + 72) dx

2. Relevant equations
    ∫ x^n dx = ∫ (1/n+1)x^(n+1) + C
    ∫ 1/x dx = ln x + C

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi everyone,

Here's what I've done so far:

(i) I factored the bottom equation into (x + 2)(x - 6)^2

and then separated the fraction 1/[(x + 2)(x - 6)^2] into a sum of three fractions of the form:
    A/(x + 2) + B/(x - 6) + C/[ (x-6)^2 ]

and found that A = 1/64, B = -1/64, C = 1/8

(ii) The only way I can see to go from here is to split the top integral into three integrals:

(1/64) ∫ (5x^2 - 42x + 24)/(x + 2) dx + (-1/64) ∫ (5x^2 - 42x + 24)/(x - 6) dx + (1/8) ∫ (5x^2 - 42x + 24)/(x-6)^2 dx

and solve them all individually using substitution, letting u = x+2, x-6 and x-6 respectively.

The answer I get in this way is: (5/8)x - 21/4 +2ln(x+2) + 3ln(x-6) + 6/(x-6) + C, C = constant of integration,

which is incorrect, according to the WebWork site, but I can't find any algebraic errors.
    So, I'm thinking perhaps what I do in step (ii) is not the best way to do it.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't want to do it that way. You want to split (5x^2 - 42x + 24)/((x+2)*(x-6)^2) into three fractions of the form A/(x + 2) + B/(x - 6) + C/[ (x-6)^2 ] with A, B and C constant.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  4. May 9, 2009 #3

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You have split your fractions correctly. However splitting [itex]1/((x-6)^2(x+2))[/itex] instead of the entire integrand, like Dick suggests, results in you having to integrate three integrals which are very sensitive to mistakes. I checked the expression you wrote down in (ii) in mathematica and it does give you the correct answer so you must have made a mistake integrating somewhere. However I suggest you do it Dick's way, it gives easy values for A, B and C (integers) and results in three very easy integrals.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook