1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration question

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    hi, erm i just want to ask about integration

lets say for finding area between 2 graphs, on the positive region, we take the integration of upper curve minus the lower curve w.r.t x-axis

so what about the area under the x-axis (negative part)

do we take the more negative curve(greater negative w.r.t x-axis, meaning further away from x-axis) minus the less negative curve(less negative w.r.t x-axis, meaning closer to x-axis) or is it the other way round?

also what will be my integration limits from? like -5 to -3 or -3 to -5 ?

also is this the same w.r.t y-axis?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2
    Bigger area minus smaller area will give the positive area. Also limits from -5 to -3 or -3 to -5 is optional.If Integral value from -5 to -3 is positive, then integral from -3 to -5 will be negative. Whatever way you do the integration, if you are finding the area, then take only the positive value

4. Nov 15, 2009 #3
    also, if lets say, above the x-axis,

curve A is above curve B w.r.t x-axis, but curve A extends to below the x-axis AND is closer to the x-axis then curve B,

so what will i have to integrate from?

i know on top is integrate curve A - B, but do i take the limits of x-values, all the way from the part where the graph is postive, to including the negative graph part?

or do i have to integrate only the positive part separately, and then integrate the negative by itself?

5. Nov 15, 2009 #4
    You will have to do separate integration. If you take the limit all the way, then the area that you get will be the area of curve above x axis minus area of curve below x axis. So you should separately take the limits.

For example, integral f(x)= sin(x) from 0 to 360 degrees is zero. This is because the area of curve above x axis(from 0 to 180) is equal to area of curve below x axis as is clear from its symmetry. The areas get subtracted to give zero as the answer.

6. Nov 16, 2009 #5
    oh isee...

so should i take the more negative curve - the less negative curve or the other way round? if i want to find the area of the region bounded by the negative curves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook