Integration Question: How to Solve e^8x * sin(x) dx with Homework Equations

• Thread starter alacey11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the problem at hand is to integrate the expression e^8x * sin(x) dx. The student is unsure of how to approach this and asks if there is a product rule for integration. They are then given a hint to use integration by parts twice, which leads to a solution for the integral. The student expresses gratitude and clarifies their initial confusion.
alacey11

Homework Statement

int e^8x * sin(x) dx

Homework Equations

I can integrate each of them separately - it's the multiplication that confuses me.
Is there some sort of product rule for integration?
I'm not sure where to start, I just need a push in the right direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is part of a larger problem, but the rest is irrelevant.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a product rule, per say, for integration. It's pretty easy to derive, all you have to do is write out the product rule for differentiation, flip the operations from dy/dx to ∫ f(x) dx, and you can pretty quickly come to a conclusion by rearranging the equation.

I think I'm doing it wrong, because I just got two integrals that were just as hard:

int (e^8x * cos(x) dx) + int ((e^8)/8 * sin(x) dx)

The integration counterpart to the product rule in differentiation is called integration by parts, and that's probably what theJorge551 was alluding to.

If you do integration by parts twice, and have chosen the parts carefully, you will get an equation that you can solve algebraically for
[tex]\int e^{8x} sin(x)dx[/tex]

Thank you for clarifying, Mark; that is what I was alluding to.

I have solved it now...
I was familiar with the integration by parts, but would not have thought to use it twice - I had used it once and when I saw the new integral with cos() I assumed I had done it wrong.
Thanks a lot!

What is the problem to be solved?

The problem to be solved is: ∫e^8x * sin(x) dx

What are the homework equations that need to be used?

The homework equations that need to be used are:
∫e^ax * sin(bx) dx = (a^2 + b^2)^-1 * e^ax * (a * sin(bx) - b * cos(bx)) + C
∫e^ax * cos(bx) dx = (a^2 + b^2)^-1 * e^ax * (a * cos(bx) + b * sin(bx)) + C

What is the general strategy for solving integration questions?

The general strategy for solving integration questions is to first identify the appropriate technique or formula to use, then apply any necessary algebraic manipulations or substitutions, and finally evaluate the integral using basic integration rules.

How do you solve the given integration problem?

To solve the given integration problem, we first use the formula ∫e^ax * sin(bx) dx = (a^2 + b^2)^-1 * e^ax * (a * sin(bx) - b * cos(bx)) + C with a = 8 and b = 1. This gives us:
∫e^8x * sin(x) dx = (8^2 + 1^2)^-1 * e^8x * (8 * sin(x) - 1 * cos(x)) + C
= 1/65 * e^8x * (8 * sin(x) - cos(x)) + C
Next, we apply the formula ∫e^ax * cos(bx) dx = (a^2 + b^2)^-1 * e^ax * (a * cos(bx) + b * sin(bx)) + C with a = 8 and b = 1. This gives us:
∫e^8x * cos(x) dx = (8^2 + 1^2)^-1 * e^8x * (8 * cos(x) + 1 * sin(x)) + C
= 1/65 * e^8x * (8 * cos(x) + sin(x)) + C
Finally, we combine these two results to get the final answer:
∫e^8x * sin(x) dx = 1/65 * e^8x * (8 * sin(x) - cos(x) + 8 * cos(x) + sin(x)) + C
= 1/65 * e^8x * (9 * sin(x) + 7 * cos(x)) + C

What are some tips for solving integration questions effectively?

Some tips for solving integration questions effectively are to:
1. Familiarize yourself with the various integration techniques and their corresponding formulas.
2. Always check for any algebraic manipulations or substitutions that can simplify the integral.
3. Practice, practice, practice! The more you solve integration questions, the better you will become at identifying the right technique and applying it correctly.
4. Don't panic if you get stuck. Take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.
5. Use online resources or ask for help from peers or a teacher if you are struggling with a particular problem.