Integrating x/(1-4x-2x2)1/2: Different Approaches

• Thread starter gaobo9109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the student is asking for help in integrating x/(1-4x-2x2)1/2 and mentions attempting to solve it using the by-part method, but their answer did not match the given answer. They are looking for an alternate approach and suggest using u-substitution and completing the square.
gaobo9109

Homework Statement

How do you integrate x/(1-4x-2x2)1/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it using by-part method, but it turned out to be very complicated, and my answer doesn't match the answer given. Is there any other way to approach this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
gaobo9109 said:

Homework Statement

How do you integrate x/(1-4x-2x2)1/2

I tried to solve it using by-part method, but it turned out to be very complicated, and my answer doesn't match the answer given. Is there any other way to approach this question?

If you let u = 1 - 4x -2x2 then du would be -4 - 4x. So what I would try first is to build that into the numerator because it has an x already:

[tex]\int \frac x {\sqrt{1-4x-2x^2}}\,dx =-\frac 1 4 \int \frac {-4x}{\sqrt{1-4x-2x^2}}\, dx

=-\frac 1 4 \int \frac {-4x - 4 + 4}{\sqrt{1-4x-2x^2}}\, dx

=-\frac 1 4 \int \frac {-4x-4}{\sqrt{1-4x-2x^2}} +\frac 4 {\sqrt{1-4x-2x^2}}\, dx[/tex]

Then I would do the u-substitution on the first and for the second I would try completing the square under the integral looking for an arcsine form.

1. How do I integrate x/(1-4x-2x2)1/2 using the substitution method?

The substitution method involves substituting a new variable for the given expression. In this case, let u = 1-4x-2x^2. Then, du/dx = -4-4x and solving for dx gives dx = -du/(4+4x). Substituting these values in the original expression gives the integral ∫ x/(1-4x-2x^2)1/2 dx = ∫ -1/2 * u1/2 * (-1/4) du = ∫ 1/8 * u1/2 du. This can then be integrated using the power rule.

2. What is the best approach to integrate x/(1-4x-2x2)1/2?

There is no single best approach to integrating this expression. Different methods can be used such as substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, or trigonometric substitution. The choice of approach may depend on the complexity of the expression and the tools available to the individual.

3. Can I use the chain rule to integrate x/(1-4x-2x2)1/2?

No, the chain rule is used for differentiating composite functions and is not applicable to integrating this expression. Instead, the substitution method or other integration techniques can be used.

4. Is there a shortcut or formula for integrating x/(1-4x-2x2)1/2?

No, there is no standard formula or shortcut for integrating this expression. However, some techniques such as partial fractions or trigonometric substitution may make the integration process easier.

5. Can I use Wolfram Alpha or other online tools to integrate x/(1-4x-2x2)1/2?

Yes, Wolfram Alpha and other online tools can be used to integrate this expression. However, it is always recommended to have a good understanding of the integration techniques and to double-check the results to ensure accuracy.