Mastering Integrals: A Cute Factoring Trick

• Thread starter ToxicBug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the individual is struggling with evaluating the integral \int\sqrt{x-x^2} and asks for help. They then attempt to solve it by using the substitution method and eventually reach the solution of \frac{x-1/2}{4}\sqrt{1-4(x-1/2)^2}+\frac{1}{8}sin^{-1}(2x-1)+C. There is also a mention of using Mathematica, a computer algebra system, which the individual believes to be incorrect.
ToxicBug
Could anyone evaluate this integral for me? I got it in an exam and didn't know how to do it.

[tex]\int\sqrt{x-x^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
let u = x-1/2 and do the substitude,...

What do you mean? Can you evaluate it completely showing the steps?

Ok, Mathematica was definitely wrong. There's going to be a trig substitution in this integral somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematica is **** and I'm sure that's not a right answer.

What do you mean? Can you evaluate it completely showing the steps?
what do I mean? I thought I make it very clear already!
[tex]\int\sqrt{x-x^2}dx=\int\sqrt{x(1-x)}dx[/tex]

let [tex] u=x-\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

It become:

[tex]\int\sqrt{(\frac{1}{2}-u)(\frac{1}{2}+u)}du[/tex]

[tex]=\int\sqrt{\frac{1}{4}-u^2 }du[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{u}{4}\sqrt{1-4u^2}+\frac{1}{8}sin^{-1}(2u)+C[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{x-1/2}{4}\sqrt{1-4(x-1/2)^2}+\frac{1}{8}sin^{-1}(2x-1)+C[/tex]

Sick, thanks.

And one more thing:"Mathematica" is ALWAYS RIGHT...:grumpy:

Daniel.

Cute factoring.

What I would have done is "complete the square": x- x2= 1/4-1/4+ x-x2= 1/4-(x-1/2)2 which would have led me to the u= x- 1/2 substitution. Once I had it in the form [itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{4}- u^2}[/itex] I would use a trig substitution.

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the velocity or acceleration of an object.

2. How is integration different from differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations. While differentiation finds the rate of change of a function, integration finds the original function from its rate of change. In other words, differentiation finds the slope of a curve, while integration finds the area under a curve.

3. What are the different methods of integration?

The most common methods of integration are substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. Substitution involves substituting a variable with a simpler expression, integration by parts involves using the product rule in reverse, and partial fractions is used to integrate rational functions.

4. When is integration used in real life?

Integration is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the amount of heat transferred in a chemical reaction, or the probability of an event occurring.

5. What are some common applications of integration?

Some common applications of integration include finding the area under a curve to calculate displacement, velocity, or acceleration, calculating volume of irregular shapes, and finding the average value of a function over a certain interval.